Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Whistler , British Columbia
Engineered Acacia Floor

Please tell me this engineered Acacia floor is a go.

https://www.armstrongflooring.com/re...m/EHS5300.html

It's fantastic. I haven't been able to find any LVT that has this look. Apparently, Acacia is the hardest and most moisture resistant. The plan is to go around all the appliances so I can always do spot checks on the subfloor to make sure I am not having any leak issues.

I really would love to do this floor. I am worried about buckling. Has anyone else done a quality engineered HW floor? Please tell me it's a green light.
TylerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
If you don’t get any response because nobody has used it, you just have to be the first to try it and find out first hand if it is any good.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
You don't say what your AS is, nor does the link give the weight of the product, but you will probably be adding significant weight to your trailer. Have you weighed your trailer? It's likely quite a bit heavier than what the factory lists it as, and when you add a product like this the total weight may approach or exceed the rated weight of your axles and the tongue weight rating for your tow vehicle. Maybe not, but you should know.
It's an "engineered" product so only the top portion - as little as 1/16' - is really Acacia. The substrate is usually a cheap softwood like pine or poplar, all glued together with an exterior grade glue. Delamination of the finish surface is possible with temperature and moisture changes you'll experience in a travel trailer as you move around the continent over the seasons.
Personally I'd consider a vinyl "click" flooring (I actually did use an Armstrong product), but even with those you can experience warping due to high temps if you don't allow for expansion.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I have no idea on that product, we are looking also for flooring.

However, through my looking, the "engineered" LVP's that I see are not wood in the core. Some are even PVC.
These seem to be the best choice for stability of expansion or contraction.
Again, this was for LVP

The product you linked to says it is engineered hardwood, so you will have to ask them what the core material is.

1/2 thick seems excessive for me. As stated above, you may want to check on total weight. Does it need a pad ? etc.

Standard laminate flooring is wood in the core.
Dremel is offline   Reply With Quote