Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Cost for Hardwood installation

Anyone have a guess on cost to install hardwood flooring in a 31 or 34 footer? Labor and materials?$$$?
nautiqueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
I am not sure of the price but here are a couple of things to consider. There are more cuts in a trailer, especially if the kitchen counter base extends out. Some installers might try to say they cannot do it because they do not understand that the floor is just plywood. Depending on your model make sure they know where tanks and gas lines are. Finally do whatever you feel comfortable with to keep price down such as floor prep and moldings. Check a web site like servicemagic.com to have installers bid on your job and you can read reviews of their work.
Brianv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have not installed it yet but I am planning to.

I think that it will take about 80-100 sq ft. The type I am considering comes 32 sq ft/bundle so that will be 3 bundles. Cost is $3-5/sq ft for material.

An important factor is the type of flooring. It affects the material cost and the installation cost. I am a home inspector, so I have seen lots of flooring in homes and have installed hardwood flooring in my own home. I installed traditional oak flooring in my home, then had it sanded and finished. I would not recommend this for a trailer as you would have to face nail about half of it due to the narrowness of the trailer and the space needed for the nailing gun to install the nails in the tongue.

I think the best way to install it may be a floating flow or glueing if you can find the right glue that will perform properly. If the flooring gets loose then what are you going to do? However I have not researched this very well.

Not all flooring looks good. The last thing I want is flooring that looks cheap in an Airstream trailer. I intend to install it once only and I want to be happy with the appearance and I want it to last a long time.

Laminate flooring seems to be popular because of low maintenance but the cost and appearance seems to vary widely. I don't believe you can repair laminate very easily if it gets a deep scratch.

I inspected a home with some flooring that I first thought was traditional unfinished oak installed with a nailer and then stained and finished. I was wrong. It was a prefinished engineered wood flooring that is a floating floor. It is not nailed to the floor. It is installed over a membrane like cork and the flooring is locked together. The flooring is held in place by friction and the trim around the edge. The particular flooring that I am planning on installing is made by Kahrs, I believe this is a Swedish company that has been making flooring for a long time. Googling Kahrs flooring, they seem to get high marks for ease of installation and the top layer is 1/8" so it can be repaired or refinished if needed. Each plank is about 7"x92"x5/8". The cost is about $4-5/sq ft.

I would be curious if anybody has used this flooring in their Airstream.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I agree- I think engineered wood flooring is a much better choice than traditional solid hardwood flooring, at least for a trailer. It also has the beauty and repair-ability of the real wood top layer, as opposed to the Pergo-type laminate flooring. These are fairly easy to install yourself, with some minimal carpentry tools and ability. Keep in mind that this type of flooring is going to weigh more than typical carpet or vinyl flooring. Good luck!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
This is the help I am looking for. Thanks,
nautiqueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I have put down new floor covering in several trailers for others in the past. A 27' trailer takes about 25-30 hours to do a nice job. This will often include quarter round to cover where the floor meets the cabinets. Hope this helps

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'm gonna lay my own. I've got a $1,000 budget for my 31'. I'm gonna use 3/8", snap together, foam attached, laminate.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Wood Floors

It's been a while but I instaled a Pergo type laminate maple floor purchased from Home Depot in a 22 ft. Total cost was around $350 with me doing the labor.

A few notes to consider. Laminate finishes are hard. They will do a number on your saw blades. There are very few straight lines in an Airstream so expect a lot of extra cuts and have the skills and equipment to deal with the curves and corners. A floating application will serve best because of the flexing issues involved with travel.

It took two days for the install. And was not the easiest project I have attampted but the finished product looked great and was very servicable. Definitly better than the carpet I replaced!

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:22 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Ishpeming , Michigan
Great info :What is Floating material mentioned if you install a laminate ? I Won't be doing it myself but would help if I knew what I was talking about with the installer.
Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letch View Post
Great info :What is Floating material mentioned if you install a laminate ? I Won't be doing it myself but would help if I knew what I was talking about with the installer.

Floating means that the laminate material is not attached to the subfloor. It is allowed to float when it needs to expand or contract. There is usually a 1/2” gap where it is against the wall or cabinet. This gap is covered with trim. For a trailer I believe a 1/4” gap is adequate.

I installed a floating cork floor in our Tradewind over 10 years ago. We have been happy with it. You can read details of the install and see photos in my project thread. Go to Knowledgebase, then Trailers, then Tradewind, then 60-68, then Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote