Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Sharing, nice looking floor. I have been considering the same. Do you glue right to the subfloor or add a layer like luan?
Thanks
tonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
TonyP

I would caution against adding a sub floor underlayment. It may raise the height of the cork floor causing problems at the refrigerator or the door entryway.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #43
wanderluster

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I just glued to the subfloor. But I will tell ya, after two plus years, the tiles have shrunk and there are gaps between each tile. It looked great after I completed the install, but now it is not as great. To the untrained eye is is fine but it is not what I had expected. I would go with clip in tiles in the future.
Ophir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I installed a floating cork floor last summer and I am very happy with the results. One of my concerns though is what will happen when I spill some water or other liquid on it. I will probably apply a sealer to it when the weather warms up a bit.

Here is a link to photos of my cork installation and also some words about the cork installation experience (posts 3-7):

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...nts-94152.html

Dan
Old 05-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Quick question to those of you that have installed click together cork floor. I will be installing the same in a week or so... I have the entire trailer cleared out of cabinetry and appliances currently because I am finishing up the new sub-floor.

Should I install the flooring from wall to wall and install the cabinets and appliances over top of the new cork floating floor? Does that ruin the float effect? Will that effect the expand and contract property of the flooring?
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
If you install wall-to-wall, it may affect how your bulk-heads fit. You may have to trim the bottoms of the bulk-heads and walls equal to the thickness of your flooring material to get them to reinstall properly.

Also, if you install wall-to-wall...and then later have a leak or an accident the ruins part of the floor, you will have a major problem fixing the floor, since it will be underneath your cabinets.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343 View Post
If you install wall-to-wall, it may affect how your bulk-heads fit. You may have to trim the bottoms of the bulk-heads and walls equal to the thickness of your flooring material to get them to reinstall properly.

Also, if you install wall-to-wall...and then later have a leak or an accident the ruins part of the floor, you will have a major problem fixing the floor, since it will be underneath your cabinets.

I figured that I would have to chop everything down to size, but I did not think about the fixing of floor panels. That would really suck...
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #48
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I'm a big fan of keeping the finish flooring out of closets and under cabinets and such. These trailers get a lot of wear on the flooring. And there are many who have experienced warped flooring due to heat/leaks/humidity, or manufacturing defect. If you ever want to change out the flooring you'll have to remove all the interior. Much better IMHO to lay it up to the cabinets and install trim molding. Easier to catch water leaks too as they won't be trapped between the subfloor and the finished floor!

If you do decide to have the cabinets on top you'll have to allow for the floating floor to move. Many have drilled larger holes in the floor for each screw that goes through it. Thus the screw doesn't affect the floating floor.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Installation on the open areas only makes sense reinergirl but it seems like every video I have watched show everything out of the trailer. It is good to hear some reasons why NOT to do that.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #50
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Does anyone know who installs floating cork in airstream in ontario?
JACQUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Just an update: I installed the new cork floor AFTER installing all furniture and appliances. It worked out fantastic and it saved money because I needed less flooring. The downside is that it required a lot more sized and cutting to be done as well as 1/4 round to be installed to cover up any small gaps. Overall, I would do it this way again.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #52
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Cork flooring will be installed in a weeks time. We found a local company who will do it (for a price of course), but that helps on our end. The slide leak appears to be at the top rubber-4th cut to the centre. My husband tried some of the white roofing tape & there was no leak but had to remove it in order to close the slide. Andy from canam says he will come & take a look if he gets time. Bob says he will put tape everytime the slide is out then remove it to bring slide back in. What can we do?
Old 11-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
cork flooring/main floor vs wall to wall

We use our 07 23ft. Safari four to six months a year. We ended up with a couple of gouges in the sheet flooring. Every flooring dealer we talk to says don't do anything but sheet, because of temp extremes from Winter Wisconsin, to Winter Keys or AZ. etc. The cork was originally our first choice, but the height and weight were concerns. This thread seems to say, don't worry about it. What say you who have tried it?

Steve0
Old 11-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I installed a cork floating floor about two years ago. It is doing fine, but it is not perfect. A few small gaps have opened up, but not enough to take any action. I would install it again. Weight and thickness are not a problem. Take a look at my thread "Dan's 66 Tradewind Improvements" for more detail.
As an alternative you might consider marmolium.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5564.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	225768  
Old 11-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #55
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Cork flooring 04 safari slideout

Our cork flooring has been installed 2 weeks ago by a local flooring dealer. It is beautiful & he did a very good job. He undercut the hall cabinets to allow cork to slide underneath, therefore no trim needed. Around the kitchen cabinets, we plan to use the aluminum look trim. The cork is cut out around the cabinets with a very small gap for expansion. The slide works fine over the cork. The carpet on the dinette floor is being installed on friday.

We have cork in our kitchen in our home for 3 years & we like it very much; some scratches from the dog's nails but to be expected. I clean with torkys natural glow cleaner which works great. Just wipe up any spills.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
I found out the hard way to wipe up spills asap otherwise the surface will bubble up!
07007 is offline   Reply With Quote