Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2004, 10:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Pahaska

You are considering bamboo this time around? Any particular reason? Looks, quality? I liked your floor in the last trailer, wondering if it was all you expected.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
We really wanted to put bamboo flooring in, but a salesperson who knew of my chemical sensitivities, advised against them. Because they are processed in places like indonesia and china, there are no strict guidelines on chemicals used in prossesing the bamboo- squishing, binders, cooking and pressing. So he told us to avoid bamboo. Too bad, I really liked it. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Need more info on bamboo

We've made a decision to go with bamboo for the floor of our '76 Safari and I'm getting ready to buy. We want to use the new "click" bamboo floating floor and I'm noticing the thickness is around 9/16". I was thinking it should be thinner, closer to 3/8" for the trailer. Is the thickness a big issue? M&J -- what did you use? Anybody else have any experience with bamboo floating floors to share?

Silver Suz -- did you look at the strand grain bamboo flooring? It's supposedly made with a low-VOC adhesive. Don't know if that helps you or not. More information here:
http://www.sustainableflooring.com/bamboo-flooring.htm
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:34 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
bamboo is awesome. JUST DO IT.

I will be putting down in as many spots in my AS as possible, even wall panels. I great place to source is Smith & Fong Plyboo, out of San Francisco. I did alot of photography work for them and they are great to work with and VERY knowledgable. Ask for Dan or Dino. He'll give you a great price too.
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Post Thanks for the info!

We already have solid wood 3/8" thick oak strips sealed and airing out up in the barn loft. At 104 degrees today it should be well aired. suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

how hard is it to install a wood floor?for some reason i have carpet in my kitchen,this could be real messy.........
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
click bamboo

After looking around we found that the bamboo click flooring only comes in a thicker version although you can get 3/8" solid bamboo. We wanted the non-glue floating floor so we'll probably use the 5/8" click. At any rate, we've postponed the bamboo and have decided to find a "temporary"covering for the exposed plywood until the end of the August so we can get some more summer use of the trailer. Then we're going to start a little more extensive remodeling and remove more of the interior before we put the new floor down. If anyone has any good ideas for a cheap temporary floor, I'm all ears.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:29 AM   #28
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ideas

Quote:
If anyone has any good ideas for a cheap temporary floor, I'm all ears.
a friend of mine went to wally mart and purchased some "throw rugs", they are more like carpeting remnants.

he just cut them to fit and plans on tossing them out when he decides on a final flooring plan. they are not fastened down, allowing removal during projects that create dust etc. yet, still allowing use of the trailer in the mean time.

it makes an inexpensive temporary floor covering that doesn't owe him anything when he decides on a final floor.

john