Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
chehalis , Pacific NW
Question Armstrong vinyl tile??

Hi everyone, I am looking for a place that sells the smaller 8x8 vynil tile. Armstrong used to have it but they dont anymore. Anybody know a place online where I could get this??
A little bit about me since I m the newbie. We got a 1963 Ambassador that we are updating little by little. Live in the pacific nw and thats about it.
Thanks for the help,

dave.
Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Fwiw

I don't know about 8"x8" tile, but in early Airstreams, 9"x9" tiles were common.

I'm told that all 9"x9" tiles, in that era, had asbestos in them.

End of history lesson...

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Armstrong Excellon comes in 12x12. I think that you'll be hard pressed to find an 8 inch tile these days. Marmoleum comes in rolls and would look good.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Some people have cut down the 12"x12" tiles to 9"x9" (or whatever size you want) but it seems like a lot of extra work to me, especially with a long trailer like an Ambassador. Besides, they still won't look like "exact replacements" for the old 9"x9" - the patterns, colors and textures are totally different.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I don't care much about the size of the tile personally. I am just looking for a clean, manageable covering that is attractive. I have seen this tile called Clayton Canyon. Hope it's not too expensive as I'ld like to cover the entire floor and then break it up with cozy throw rugs.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
chehalis , Pacific NW
Well, I am going to cut the tile and hopefully it will look good. I am only doing the bathroom so it wont be too bad.
The only reason I like the smaller tiles is because I am doing a little checkerboard pattern and the 12x12 are just too big for the small area, I think.
I'll keep you guys posted.

dave.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
What about turning the 12x12 tiles into 4 6x6 tiles? Would that be too small?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumin8 View Post
I don't care much about the size of the tile personally. I am just looking for a clean, manageable covering that is attractive. I have seen this tile called Clayton Canyon. Hope it's not too expensive as I'ld like to cover the entire floor and then break it up with cozy throw rugs.
I like that "Clayton Canyon" tile. It kinda looks like marmoleum. Is it vinyl and who makes it?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I like that "Clayton Canyon" tile. It kinda looks like marmoleum. Is it vinyl and who makes it?
Clayton Canyon

It looks like it's supposed to be slate. There is a larger picture on the Armstrong link above.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Not to hijack this thread ... but it's *relative*. Cutting the tiles: anyone have a "trick"? I want to cut the tiles to make a pattern on my floor and realize that the angle of the cut will need to be fairly precise so that there aren't gaps when matching them together. This would probably hold true to cutting down any of these tiles.

Something like this is what I aspire to! Thought I'd lay them out, mark them, cut and adhere. This was probably done with sheet vinyl but that seems a bit of a challenge for a DIY (and a lot of waste?).

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Lay one color tile over the top of the other color and carefully cut thru both tiles at the same time. Make sense?

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Lay one color tile over the top of the other color and carefully cut thru both tiles at the same time. Make sense?

JIm

Yep, makes sense!!! Thanks. Oh - would an x-acto knife be suitable? Or do I need to buy a new toy --- like a free-standing scroll saw? Hope not, I really need to replace my axles and the cost is probably about the same
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I used a regular utility knife when we put a new floor in the kitchen (inside the house). The trick is make sure the tiles don't move around on ya when you're making the cut. One way to do that is to glue one of the tiles in place before you make the cut. Experiment first and be prepared to make a couple of mistakes. I'll bet it'll come out nice!

Good luck and let us see the results.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
chehalis , Pacific NW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Yeah that might not be a bad idea. I will have to cut one up and see how it will look.
Good thinking!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Precision cuts are a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
The problem with resizing tiles is to keep the dimensions EXACT. If the resized tiles are off by much, the error will propagate over the area and there will be gaps between tiles.

Should you decide to cut tiles (I recommend a paper-cutter type of device), lay the tiles out (without glueing) in the desired area to make sure the finished appearance is pleasing.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
The problem with resizing tiles is to keep the dimensions EXACT. If the resized tiles are off by much, the error will propagate over the area and there will be gaps between tiles.

Should you decide to cut tiles (I recommend a paper-cutter type of device), lay the tiles out (without glueing) in the desired area to make sure the finished appearance is pleasing.

Tom
As far as using a paper cutter...it kinda depends on the type of vinyl tiles you are cutting.

Vinyl Composition Tiles (aka VCT) like Armstrong Excelon, are much too hard for a paper cutter - they would just crumble &/or break. I think a ceramic tile cutter is more likely to be successful as it scores the tile and you can snap it. A jigsaw would be best for scrolls or curves. VCT comes in lots & lots of colors, and they are consistent throughout the tile - not patterned, but textured looking.

Vinyl Tiles or the peal-n-stick type vinyl tiles are much more thiner & flexible and could probably be cut with a paper cutter w/o dulling the blade too much. Or they can be cut with a utility knife which would be much easier for DIY scrolls & curves. Vinyl tiles are often times patterned to look like stone or wood or ceramic patterns, they are often layered with different materials.

Durability wise - VCT is much more resistant to staining &/or gouging than vinyl tiles. VCT is what you see in very heavy duty areas like grocery stores. Vinyl tiles are more residentially oriented and not as durable over time.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I like the VCT tiles. A paper cutter would probably be inadequate for VCT, as Shari says. I wouldn't use a band saw unless you can afford to replace blades frequently. Use a fine tooth. If you try a scroll saw for straight cuts, make sure you have a sturdy fence to cut against.

I would recommend scoring and breaking. Set up a cutting jig so each tile is exactly the same width, then turn 90 degrees and cut the other dimension. Even if you score and snap, the cuts will not be as smooth as the original. Stack all the tiles in a pile, clamp them together, and block sand the cut edges to remove the rough edge. Check that the width and length is even and don't use a belt sander or you will get one side too short, then you have the problem Tom was talking about.

I've done it this way and it works.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
The trick is make sure the tiles don't move around on ya when you're making the cut. One way to do that is to glue one of the tiles in place before you make the cut.
Another, easier method is double sided tape. If you use a blad, please be careful! I've seen too many cut tendons in hands from trying to cut resilient flooring!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I heat them up in the oven,cuts like soft butter,yes a jig to hold them and make the same size would help.

Bibbs
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote