Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
I would reconsider your decision to lay vinyl planks in your trailer.

I installed 6"x36" vinyl planks in my trailer and I have 1/8" gaps in them right now (in Colorado). Dirt enters the cracks and then they heat up. As they heat up the dirt pushes the joints upwards and you never have a clean seam.

That's just my experience. The only reason I haven't replaced them is time and money. I spent close to $800 on just the materials alone.

Good luck.
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by star kitty View Post
I would reconsider your decision to lay vinyl planks in your trailer.

I installed 6"x36" vinyl planks in my trailer and I have 1/8" gaps in them right now (in Colorado). Dirt enters the cracks and then they heat up. As they heat up the dirt pushes the joints upwards and you never have a clean seam.

That's just my experience. The only reason I haven't replaced them is time and money. I spent close to $800 on just the materials alone.

Good luck.
Kitty,

Were your planks TrafficMaster Allure?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Kitty,

Were your planks TrafficMaster Allure?
No, they were not. They were Centiva brand. Not sure if there is a difference by my experience with vinyl tiles has not been positive. I should have been more clear.

Not sure if there is a difference between brands.
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm not sure if they differ either, but thanks for the info.

Aage
Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Euless , Texas
My Allure Trafficmaster floor has now shrunk at the ends also. I will wait to see what happens this summer. Overall, it still looks good because the shrinkage makes them look like planks. Even so, i sure hope the gaps close when it heats up.
tx70amb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Dalton , Massachusetts
Allure Flooring

We have used Allure flooring for many projects including:

- Condo living room and kitchen
- Apartment kitchen and bathroom
- Cottage bathroom
- Home bedroom
- Airstream complete floor over original plywood.

In all applications, we have been very pleased. No odd smells, no shrinkage issues....good for easy clean up and wet areas. The installation is easy and straight forward.
dnmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #27

1969 29' Ambassador
Fargo , North Dakota
Allure

This is my experience with Allure. This is in cold conditions.
billybucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
CATAULA , Georgia
Just finished installing in my '78 Argosy MH. Very pleased. The perfect choice IMHO.
GAArgosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I'm thinking of this flooring as well...regards the Odure,it's a 1972 Overlander, it CAME with smells
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
Smile Plank Flooring

Ripped up all my carpeting and installed vinyl plank flooring in my 2002 28' and after a season of travel, most of the seams had separated. Ripped it out and put down Armstrong sheet vinyl. Did not glue it down and left a gap around the edges for movement. Put down base molding. Looks fantastic.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Idiot idiot idiot!!! I should have spent the money and bought allure to start with... I bought another brand of "snap/click" vinyl and when I was attempting to install against the wall or other boards the small amount of give allowed the seams to open slightly, the ends never matched up due to slight uneven-ness of the floor. I am installing in Calgary Alberta, In March, at 5 degrees below freezing. (about 25-28f). So I am now returning 10 boxes of unopened planks and buying the allure with stick (1 box only) to try out and see if it will work.

My question is whether it is better to install in the cold weather and plan for expansion when it gets hot (Canada hot, not TEXAS HOT). or install hot and plan for shrinkage in the cold? I am running a space heater inside to maintain temps of 50-60f.
Loeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I helped my daughter install the stock allure & it was such a pita that I brought the stuff that I bought to install in my Avion back! I'm going to use the click install kind. It HAS to be easier than the stick stuff!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
We just had Metroflor Engage put down in our home after a waterleak.
This stuff has impressed us so far...
Everyone thinks its reclaimed real wood... but it is Vinyl.
Thick, nice underfoot, and waterproof.
Here is our bathroom, in Burnt Hickory.

The only downside is this stuff is heavy, in my opinion.

More info here..
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Orlando , Florida
Allure Flooring

We installed this in our 1986 Avion Travel Trailer. It is really nice to clean, walk barefoot on and it's durable. It does shrink and swell with the temperature. The trick is to take the highest temperature the interior of your trailer will experience during the year and the lowest temperature to get an average. H+L divided by 2=?

Our trailer is 110 in the Summer and about 35 in the Winter. 115+35=150/2=75. DO NOT INSTALL THIS FLOORING AT A TEMP. BELOW 75!

We installed at about 83 but will be installing on our 1988 Avion at about 80 degrees because when it gets super hot, the floor actually lifts up. (flattens out when you walk on it.) When it gets cold, it shrinks and all of the gaps widen. This will allow dirt to settle into these cracks and the floor will not be able to shrink back to it's original position. Do not get dirt into these cracks. We carry our grill in a tote and when we set it up, we use the tote to store shoes outside our trailer so that we aren't tracking dirt inside. This keeps our shoes dry and easy to find because they are all in one location.

Also, make sure that you stagger your 1st boards like the instructions state and leave a small gap around the edge for expansion. This can be covered with plastic trim from Home Depot. Nail the trim to the cabinetry not the floor so that the floor can expand underneath the trim.

We really like the flooring. It's fairly easy to install. It looks great. It does have it's drawbacks but it beats sheet vinyl in durability and ease of installation and it's economical.

We went with the oak in the 86 but now we are doing travertine in the kitchen and bath and pecan in the bedroom and LR which matches the cabinetry well.
Vintage1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage1987 View Post
We installed this in our 1986 Avion Travel Trailer. It is really nice to clean, walk barefoot on and it's durable. It does shrink and swell with the temperature. The trick is to take the highest temperature the interior of your trailer will experience during the year and the lowest temperature to get an average. H+L divided by 2=?

Our trailer is 110 in the Summer and about 35 in the Winter. 115+35=150/2=75. DO NOT INSTALL THIS FLOORING AT A TEMP. BELOW 75!

We installed at about 83 but will be installing on our 1988 Avion at about 80 degrees because when it gets super hot, the floor actually lifts up. (flattens out when you walk on it.) When it gets cold, it shrinks and all of the gaps widen. This will allow dirt to settle into these cracks and the floor will not be able to shrink back to it's original position. Do not get dirt into these cracks. We carry our grill in a tote and when we set it up, we use the tote to store shoes outside our trailer so that we aren't tracking dirt inside. This keeps our shoes dry and easy to find because they are all in one location.

Also, make sure that you stagger your 1st boards like the instructions state and leave a small gap around the edge for expansion. This can be covered with plastic trim from Home Depot. Nail the trim to the cabinetry not the floor so that the floor can expand underneath the trim.

We really like the flooring. It's fairly easy to install. It looks great. It does have it's drawbacks but it beats sheet vinyl in durability and ease of installation and it's economical.

We went with the oak in the 86 but now we are doing travertine in the kitchen and bath and pecan in the bedroom and LR which matches the cabinetry well.
Did you use the click together, or the kind with the sticky edge?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #36
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Allure has the sticky borders.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Allure has the sticky borders.
No....it also comes as click together. For instance:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...specifications

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Becky....I think that floor is the sticky type. I never saw click Allure and I have used the one you pointed out. A hint to all, as I have mentioned before, is watch the direction you lay that plank....which side goes on first. If you lay it so that the new edge slides under the previous plank you are in for trouble. Thats because when you touch surfaces...your stuck! There is no wiggle room and its hard to get correct alignment under the blind edge. Much easier to lay the new plank directly down ON, and visible, on the previous plank.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Becky....I think that floor is the sticky type. I never saw click Allure and I have used the one you pointed out. A hint to all, as I have mentioned before, is watch the direction you lay that plank....which side goes on first. If you lay it so that the new edge slides under the previous plank you are in for trouble. Thats because when you touch surfaces...your stuck! There is no wiggle room and its hard to get correct alignment under the blind edge. Much easier to lay the new plank directly down ON, and visible, on the previous plank.
Totally agree, Melody--that's the way we laid our Allure. We ran ours from front to back with the lower adhesive edge facing up. By laying it down against the previous edge at a 45 degree angle and then pressing in place, we ended up with no gaps and a beautiful looking floor. We do have gaps at the end of the planks in the colder months but these disappear in the warmer months. Even with these small gaps, we think theis product makes the nicest looking and most serviceable floors we have seen in an Airstream. We selected the light cork color and it enhances the appearance of the light oak hardwoods in our unit. We also installed light oak molding to cover the gaps around the edges. It is far superior to the factory installed lineoleum,
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #40
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I guess it comes as either. We used the Allure floor vinyl planks in our kitchen at home, and they were definitely the stick-together type. The only thing I found that I didn't like was I never found the right tool for cutting them.

Love them though, the kitchen is an area that sees lots of traffic, and lots of things get dropped, heavy or sharp things: it looks exactly like the day we put it down two years ago.

Yes, I looked and "Traffic-Master Allure Vinyl Plank" is with the sticky. You pull off pieces of opaque white "paper" that keeps the sticky away from the non-sticky.

And it's bulletproof. Here's a photo of the style we used:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16139.47512Plank_4.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	180352  

Tags
cork, vinyl planks, floor repair