Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I've just got a few months on mine. I would definitely use exactly the same stuff again. The joints that I didn't click together properly (I think it's a little tricky) have separated a little. I installed front to back; mark the center line on your floor before you start.

I used aluminum angle with felt tape to create the space for expansion and contraction without taking up floor space in the coach. The details are here, starting around post 25.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
I've just got a few months on mine. I would definitely use exactly the same stuff again. The joints that I didn't click together properly (I think it's a little tricky) have separated a little. I installed front to back; mark the center line on your floor before you start.

I used aluminum angle with felt tape to create the space for expansion and contraction without taking up floor space in the coach. The details are here, starting around post 25.
Thanks! The aluminum will not work on mine. I have the fabric wall finish.

I still would like to hear from folks who have a few years on their Allure and get some answers to post #160.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #163
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
We're super happy with our Allure. It's laid left to right in our trailer, and has not shown any hint of shrinking or expanding. We just cut the tile carefully and put it within an 1/8" of the walls.

The only thing I saw that we have to be extra careful is to make sure that the subfloor is perfectly clean. There's a little pebble in ours that I can see when the light is just so. I'm waiting for it to rub its way through.

Oh, also: buy it all at once. We did one section in the late summer, and carried on the following year. There was a visible difference in the finish (NOT the colour) as we saw the newer tiles had more of a matt finish.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
<snip>
Oh, also: buy it all at once. We did one section in the late summer, and carried on the following year. There was a visible difference in the finish (NOT the colour) as we saw the newer tiles had more of a matt finish.
Thanks! I appreciate your comments! How long has your floor been installed?

I've been reading everything I can find about Allure. You might use a coat of this to make the two finishes match more closely.
Allure Single Step 24 oz. Satin Floor Cleaner and Polish-AL66401 - The Home Depot
Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #165
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
more Allure

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Thanks! I appreciate your comments! How long has your floor been installed?

I've been reading everything I can find about Allure. You might use a coat of this to make the two finishes match more closely.
Allure Single Step 24 oz. Satin Floor Cleaner and Polish-AL66401 - The Home Depot
Looks like it was finished sometime in August of 2003, so this would be its third season. This link should take you to post #174 of my "My Life With Henri" thread where I describe installation and show photos.

Thanks fo the link to the Allure cleaner/wax. If I can find it up here, I'll let you know how good it is.