Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
2019 Vinyl Floor Staining

Our 2019 Flying Cloud vinyl floor is starting to show discoloring or random pattern dark blotches. It started in one area of the hallway and is now traveling up the hallway. Problem intensified when both of us started accusing the other of walking in with dirty shoes.

Looks like a combination of dirty foot prints or wipe marks. Had Jackson look at it they were puzzled and they could not clean it off. I’m wondering if it’s the glue underneath bleeding through?

They will not put a vinyl floor over a vinyl floor. And I know there are two camps on this

1: Just ignore it and cover with throw rugs or flooring.

2: Or tear apart an interior on warranty and replace it of which I am not a fan of doing.

Any ideas? Is there a company that makes custom floor runners for a 25ft ft twin ?
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss

We had some yellowing on our vinyl floor in the 2006 23 foot Safari. Nancy cleaned the floor and used a Floor Gloss to protect the floor. It worked and the yellowing was minor.

I would avoid using this on the 'thatched floor vinyl' used in the late model (2019) Globe Trotter. We avoided that model because of the flooring... it might not work for us.

We have used Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss when purchasing the 2016 and the 2019 vinyl floors. The tan/brown streaks wood grain looking vinyl. Nancy cleans the vinyl with some dish washing liquid and a bucket of water. Wipe clean.

Then applies the Floor Gloss with a sponge. It takes TWO coats to cover streaking where the Floor Gloss is too thin. We do not walk on it for the first day, even though it dries in low humidity in several hours.

Then take rubber backed floor runners to protect the floor on our Off the Grid Boondocking trips and TWO Blue Heelers that sleep on dog pillows. One under the table and another along side the bed. Sometimes just outside the table.

This protects the floor and when we are ready to sell... remove the mats, wipe clean and they look... perfect.

This works for us and we travel into dust and dirt as a regular experience. If it works for US... it will for you, as well.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Problem intensified when both of us started accusing the other of...
Funny how that works...

Good luck finding a resolve ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I recently noticed that Home Depot sells a couple of "runner" solutions by the foot (any length you'd like from the roll). They are for home carpet protection, but might be a good, affordable option for your needs. I believe they were 2 or 3 feet wide, so they should fit width-wise.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
Do you have a rubber-backed floor mat by chance? Our floors were permanently stained due to some chemical reaction between rubber and vinyl. It's black/purpleish and refuses to be cleaned. We had planned to replace all the flooring with plank flooring anyway so it was not big deal.
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Ohhhhh no! Yes

Well that nails it we had several of them. Guess that’s a hard lesson learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
Do you have a rubber-backed floor mat by chance? Our floors were permanently stained due to some chemical reaction between rubber and vinyl. It's black/purpleish and refuses to be cleaned. We had planned to replace all the flooring with plank flooring anyway so it was not big deal.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:40 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
MISSOULA , Montana
Quote:
I'm surprised the people at Jackson didn't tell you that. The owner's manual for my 2018 Flying Cloud vinal floor cleaning and care states that rubber-backed mats may discolor the floor and to use mats that have a natural fiber backing.
Jackroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:35 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Poulsbo , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackroderick View Post
I'm surprised the people at Jackson didn't tell you that. The owner's manual for my 2018 Flying Cloud vinal floor cleaning and care states that rubber-backed mats may discolor the floor and to use mats that have a natural fiber backing.

And yet, they delivered our trailer with an “Airstream” mat at the door. Yes, it had already stained the floor. And, every trailer in the dealership lot sat until sold with that mat on the floor, despite the warning in the manual.
DougFelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFelts View Post
And yet, they delivered our trailer with an “Airstream” mat at the door. Yes, it had already stained the floor. And, every trailer in the dealership lot sat until sold with that mat on the floor, despite the warning in the manual.
Interesting. I've had commercial grade rubber backed floor mats in mine for three years and like most people, never had an issue. I've also had the original and a replacement Airstream mat since the trailer was new (2013) without staining. It must be a difference in the flooring.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Our 2019 Flying Cloud vinyl floor is starting to show discoloring or random pattern dark blotches. It started in one area of the hallway and is now traveling up the hallway. Problem intensified when both of us started accusing the other of walking in with dirty shoes.

Looks like a combination of dirty foot prints or wipe marks. Had Jackson look at it they were puzzled and they could not clean it off. I’m wondering if it’s the glue underneath bleeding through?

They will not put a vinyl floor over a vinyl floor. And I know there are two camps on this

1: Just ignore it and cover with throw rugs or flooring.

2: Or tear apart an interior on warranty and replace it of which I am not a fan of doing.

Any ideas? Is there a company that makes custom floor runners for a 25ft ft twin ?
Hello!
I saw your post on the Vinyl flooring staining and I have been seeing a similar sort of stain in my vinyl flooring. I was curious of yours was similar to mine and if you ever got to the bottom of what it was? (Pics in the below link)
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...on-220899.html

I am trying to determine whether it is mold from something slowly leaking from the bathroom or if it is from the rubber mats as you eluded to.
jgbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
Was yours similar to the stains in this post?

I am trying to determine whether it is mold from something slowly leaking from the bathroom or the chemical reaction you're describing.
jgbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:56 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Rubber throw rug backing stuck to vinyl or lineolum floor in ‘14 FC

I hope this isn’t too far off topic but wondering if anyone can recommend a way to get the rubber backing off the AS floor where the rugs laid?

We frequently take the rugs up to shake them out or vacuum but not sure if the changes in temperatures caused them to stick or what. They stuck so well that as we tried to pick up the area rugs we noticed the actual flooring was lifting too, slightly. Already tried carefully scraping w a plastic scraper but so much rubber it was daunting.

Don’t want to use anything harsh that might damage the flooring.

Thanks

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:59 PM   #13
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Quote:
The rubber bottoms on stainless steel trash cans will also stain some types of vinyl flooring.