Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Fairlee , Vermont
shocks or not when replacing axle on 65 Caravel

Thinking about replacing the axle on a 65 Caravel and Airstream Supply offers complete axles with or without shock brackets and of course shocks. Price difference is about 200 bucks. My ? should I or shouldn't I spent the extra $ as it has the Dura Torque axle. Thanks for any and all comments. Lee
nickoftime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This question usually results in a visceral debate. I believe in shocks for their dampening effect on resonate vibrations.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Get the axle from Colin Hyde and the shock mounts come installed, no charge.
I got mine from him and the shocks he recommended.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Fairlee , Vermont
Did you have Colin do the work as well? If I'm not getting too noise do you recall about how much he charged. Thanks. Lee
Old 11-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoftime View Post
Thinking about replacing the axle on a 65 Caravel and Airstream Supply offers complete axles with or without shock brackets and of course shocks. Price difference is about 200 bucks. My ? should I or shouldn't I spent the extra $ as it has the Dura Torque axle. Thanks for any and all comments. Lee
If you are planning to replace the axle yourself, you might want to go with Colin Hyde if you can get in touch with him. Be aware that if you go with the original axle size the brake size may be smaller as it was for my friend's Argosy. He found that Colin's axles bolted right on with no drilling or welding.

I wound up buying Dexter axles from Inland RV because of a delivery time issue, zero freight cost and could not get in touch with Colin at that time. I had a local trailer shop do the work in Inman SC. The shock brackets were included in Andy's price but had to be welded on. Shocks were $25 ea. All new pre-assembled brakes, bolts and lug nuts were included.

Freight cost was zero because Dexter has a distributor near me where I could pick up the two axles in my utility trailer. If you decide to order from Inland, you might want to google Dexter to find out where their distributors are and plan on picking up your axles at the nearest one to you.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Check with nearest Redneck supplies. Dexter axles. If you order from them there is a special code entered for correct shock flange. I replaced axles on 68 24'. There is specific infirmation you will need. Luke Hernandez from Fort Collins, CO., helped me order correct axles. He also can put axles on and has done plenty in the past. PM me if interested for his infirmation. He is a member of the Ricky MTN. Vintage Airstream Club.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:18 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Fairlee , Vermont
Thanks for the comments it's been decided Colin Hyde is going to do the work and shocks are being replaced. His price seems very good.

Tags
caravel