Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Shock Bracket

On our 1966 CA built Safari, I noticed an issue with the street side shock bracket. We have a Dexter torsion axle. The PO welded the bottom shock bracket on the top of the torsion arm. Looking back at Inland RV literature, they can weld a bracket on or you could do it yourself. They do state where on the bracket on the arm should be welded. The PO did get the correct placement. Problem is the weld was subpar and didnít seem to penetrate the bracket. My intention is to remove the drum down to the spindle to give me access to the top of the torsion arm to grind the old weld bead and re-weld the bracket back. There was no indications inside that the shock was not connected. No popped rivets or anything else. If I hadnít been underneath caulking some areas I would have never known. Now the question is, how difficult is it to remove the drum assembly down to the spindle? What do I have to watch out for? I know thereís the brake wires, but maybe enough slack to remove the drum and set it on a bucket. The bearings were repacked about 3000 miles ago. Never had any heat on the drums so that should be good. Appreciate any input to what Iím about to do. Thanks
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Not hard.. just messy: Here is only one utube.

There are 4 bolts holding the 'backing plate' to the axle. Remove and you will see the area clearly.

When welding a small mass to a large mass (the axle has a lot of steel, the plate doesn't), the large mass needs more 'heat' than the plate. I usually heat the area with a torch then quickly start welding...

Careful, do not get the axle too hot as it can affect the rubber rods in the torsion axle... that will take a LOT of heat or incorrect use of torch too close to the pivot.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Not hard.. just messy: Here is only one utube.

There are 4 bolts holding the 'backing plate' to the axle. Remove and you will see the area clearly.

When welding a small mass to a large mass (the axle has a lot of steel, the plate doesn't), the large mass needs more 'heat' than the plate. I usually heat the area with a torch then quickly start welding...

Careful, do not get the axle too hot as it can affect the rubber rods in the torsion axle... that will take a LOT of heat or incorrect use of torch too close to the pivot.
Thanks for the info. I plan on tackling this tomorrow. My only concern is the welding. I donít want to do this but once. Thereís a welder about 8 miles from me but donít think he would pull the hub assembly. I only have a Lincoln wire feed. Itís probably fine if I can make a penetrating weld good enough. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sorry for late reply.. but make sure to wrap a wet rag around the bare spindle before you weld or heat up the area.. also, make sure to leave some grease on the spindle... the rag will help keep flame and sparks off the grease and any bare metal
Old 07-26-2020, 06:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Sorry for late reply.. but make sure to wrap a wet rag around the bare spindle before you weld or heat up the area.. also, make sure to leave some grease on the spindle... the rag will help keep flame and sparks off the grease and any bare metal
Thanks for the help. We actually figured out a way to leave the wheel assembly intact. The bracket was wide enough that, when flat on the top of the torsion arm, that the baseplate of the bracket overhung the arm by about 3/4Ē. That vertex is where we clamped and welded. We pulled the trailer to a local welding shop a few miles down the road and it took him about 5 minutes to weld the bracket with a wire feed. We unhooked the battery and I placed the ground clamp as close to the weld as possible. I didnít place any wet rags but felt the adjacent areas and they werenít too hot to touch. I think weíre good. Thanks for following up.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Eggscelent..