Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Shocks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2022, 07:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Long Lake , Minnesota
Shock absorber attachment bracket bent - How bad is this?

We think our 2020 FC RBT ran over some tire tread scraps at highway speed last month. The low point drain valve handles and the curbside real stabilizer were damaged. We took "Mabel" to the dealer for repair (and some minor warranty issues). They found this:

It appears the shock absorber attachment bracket is bent. When I talked with the service advisor, they were still trying to figure out the solution (taking it to a welding shop was the tentative plan). Obviously we'd get a new shock too.

This type of damage is WAY above my limited mechanical aptitude. How worried should I be? Is there other long term damage I should think about?
Will they need a bracket from Airstream or will a good welding shop be able to fix the existing bracket? How unsafe was it driving with this damage?

Not knowing about this damage, we've driven about 1,200 miles. Would this have contributed to my perception that sway was MUCH more noticeable (I attributed it to high side winds).

Thanks in advance for either calming my fears or sending me into a fit of depression!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream bracket.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	417406  
LongLakeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The bent shock, more then anything else probably did contributed to your perception that sway was MUCH more noticeable. It may have been making the trailer bounce unevenly from one side to the other. Possibly the alignment could be off contributing to it also.

A good welding shop should be able to fix the mount.

I would worry about the axle alignment being off from the damage. Probably be better to find a shop that can do a proper alignment on torsion axles first and see if they can do the welding with expertise on axles in mind while doing it. Instead of just going with a regular welding shop. Also they might be better then an Airstream dealer at checking for additional axle damage.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:10 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
If the shock is damaged replace it.
The bent bracket, just bend it back into position and it will be good

Action