Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Athens , Georgia
New Axles, Shock stretcher needed

Just installed new axles on our 74 Argosy. All went well until I tried to mount the Gabriel shocks.The angle of the shock mount that Dexter installed on the new axle is different than the old with the old being more forward by a couple inches. When I tried to mount the shock to the frame, I extended the shock as far as it would go and it would not reach the shock mount stud. I have not mounted wheels and let the trailer off the jack stands yet and expect to get a bit of change when I do that but even then I suspect the shock will be fully extended which I question if would be good.

Has anyone else had this happen with new axles.

If I can get the shock to mount fully extended, will that be OK?

If not should I consider mounting a new shock mount stud closer than the original. I don't wish to remove both axles and remount/weld the shock mount brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7329.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	334922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7328.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	334923  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7269-0.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	334924  
Buickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:39 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

San Diego , California
You definitely don't want the shock fully extended--it needs to be able to expand/compress in both directions as you go down the road in order to do it's job.

I had to weld new shock studs on my frame after an axle swap as well. The problem I had was due to lateral positioning--the axle mounts positioned the shocks were further away from the frame than the original.

You can buy bolt-on shock studs from O'Reilly's/Autozone. I'd do some research on the right distance/angle for the new stud in relation to the angle of the mount that Dexter gave you.
Matt0k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:57 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buickman View Post
Just installed new axles on our 74 Argosy. All went well until I tried to mount the Gabriel shocks.The angle of the shock mount that Dexter installed on the new axle is different than the old with the old being more forward by a couple inches. When I tried to mount the shock to the frame, I extended the shock as far as it would go and it would not reach the shock mount stud. I have not mounted wheels and let the trailer off the jack stands yet and expect to get a bit of change when I do that but even then I suspect the shock will be fully extended which I question if would be good.

Has anyone else had this happen with new axles.

If I can get the shock to mount fully extended, will that be OK?

If not should I consider mounting a new shock mount stud closer than the original. I don't wish to remove both axles and remount/weld the shock mount brackets.
Just lift the drum/hub assembly the 1/4" it needs to slide on the stud, that will not be a problem.

A bigger potential concern is the placement of the jackstand in the photo. Is it supporting the trailer in that location? If so, be very careful about moving the trailer, and get a tire on that hub ASAP.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Athens , Georgia
Thanks Matt, that's what I suspected. I'll look for some bolt on studs. Thanks again for the experience backed advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0k0 View Post
You definitely don't want the shock fully extended--it needs to be able to expand/compress in both directions as you go down the road in order to do it's job.

I had to weld new shock studs on my frame after an axle swap as well. The problem I had was due to lateral positioning--the axle mounts positioned the shocks were further away from the frame than the original.

You can buy bolt-on shock studs from O'Reilly's/Autozone. I'd do some research on the right distance/angle for the new stud in relation to the angle of the mount that Dexter gave you.
Buickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have had this issue before and have done just as as Overlander63 said. No need to weld on any other studs.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Once you get the weight of the trailer down off the jacks and onto the tires in normal road ready position, the shocks should be about halfway between fully extended and fully compressed. You can measure that distance with the shocks in your hand for reference. Once on the ground, if the shock isn't somewhere near center of it's stroke, then i'd be concerned. DON"T USE THE SHOCK TO HOLD AXLE IN PLACE AGAINST THE RUBBER SUSPENSION FORCES. Shocks aren't designed to do that.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
X3

Do not weld anything...I had the same concern with our Safari. Just jack the axle up until it lines up.

POI... you may want a little more purchase on that jack stand.

Bob
🇺🇸