Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
highlands ranch , Colorado
Air Shocks????

I live in Colorado and frequent the "governor John Hickenlooper legacy highways in Colorado" with our new 2017 25FB, these horrible roads have taken a toll on our new airstream. My question with Airstream shocks, can they be replaced with air ride to lessen the impact on our TV? Shock air ride replacement recommendation?
We also travel on NF roads and trying to lessen the impact.
Colorado Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
You have a 2018 model. I am not that familar with AS trailers built in the last 5 years or so. Below is true for older ones and I woudl think all Airstream trailer from 1967 to present.

Most Airstream shocks are mounted in a more or less horizontal position. There is no aftermarket shock made that is designed to be mounted in that type of position.

If there were, an air shock (or a much stiffer shock of any type) may do some damage to the shock mountings and/or the coach. An Airstream was designed to ride very smooth. Part of the reason for the smooth ride is the design. Design of the body mounting and design of the axle system. The design of the body is not a body on frame design it is modified monocoque design. Because of that the body "hangs" on the frame it doesn't ride on top of the frame.
https://www.airstream.com/heritage/h...avel-trailers/

So body movement is exaggerated from frame movement. In addition the axles with rubber torsion springs do a fair amount of dampening movement. In both directions. As such the shocks used only dampen a little bit more movement. And certainly not in a HD type of way.

The market place that Airstream sells against is a high end market. Generally users that do not go off road or into rugged conditions.

The only thing I could suggest is to tow slower.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
You don’t want to replace the shocks - they are turned for the elastomer suspension built into the dexter axle.

You do want to look at your tire pressure. If you have the margin you should reduce pressure. If you are running Goodyear endurance you can safely run 50-60 psi on your trailer even though the plaque said maximum pressure @80 psi. That will have the biggest impact on smoothing out the ride.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Fun View Post
I live in Colorado and frequent the "governor John Hickenlooper legacy highways in Colorado" with our new 2017 25FB, these horrible roads have taken a toll on our new airstream. My question with Airstream shocks, can they be replaced with air ride to lessen the impact on our TV? Shock air ride replacement recommendation?
We also travel on NF roads and trying to lessen the impact.
No....they would cause a harsher ride..
Slow down
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote