Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2005, 12:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

3 out of 4 Broken Shock Mounts?

I decided to take the dive and get new axles. In preperation of getting new axles, I decided to inspect my old ones. Upon inspection, I noticed that three of my four shock mounts were broken? Upon inspecting my only shock mount that was not broken I figured out why. The wonderful engineers from airstream in early 1962 must have been out to lunch because they mounted the lower mount 90 degrees off from the top mount. The upper and the lower mount should be parallel, notice how the shock is actually bent due to the swing of the axle. The second photo shows someones idea of how to fix the problem with a bandaid. They changed the shock type to a straight bolt form the stock type however they decided to weld a thin piece of 1/8 inch steel with a hold drilled into it as the new mount. It also broke due to the stress.

My other problem was the fact that my axles were welded directly to the frame and not bolted. I plan on welding new brackets and then bolting the new axles to the new brackets. Any future axle problems will be bolt on and not involve a grinder to cut off the axle.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-29-05_1235.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	17359   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-29-05_1238.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	17360  

Lookinghard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Cutting out the Old Axles

Well folks, I took the dive and cut out my old axles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04-11-06_1549.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	20501  
Old 04-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Making the mounting Plate

Well, since my old axles were welded in, I had to "Grindddddddddddddddddd & Grinddddddddddd" them off. As a result, I had to make some new mounting plates. I utilized 1/4 " by 6" cold rolled steel plate. I notched the plate for the axle housing and then drilled the bolt holes. I also reinforced the notched slots with additional plate to provide an exact fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04-11-06_1552.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	20502   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-11-06_1553.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	20503  

Old 04-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

The axle in the saddle.

Fits like a glove!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04-12-06_1629.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	20506  
Old 04-14-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

The finished Product

It looks somewhat like Art!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04-13-06_1541.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	20507  
Old 04-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Lookinghard

The axle setting is just about horizontal without the weight of your coach! I would say that the mounts all broke off from the shocks bottoming out,or compressing till travel is gone,then the force breaks off the mount.that swing arm loaded would move way upwards ,then hit a bump .Those shocks would and did get beat to heck. Under normal and new suspensions ,no way a shock mount can break off .The previouse welder did a mighty horrible job though from what I can see. You are correct about the upper mount placement ,its totally wrong. The upper photo lower mount looks hack as well ,I dont know that airsream would have made that blunder,especially since the lower eye is turned 90 degrees so it will bend the eye as is shown . They must have done your mounts with their eyes closed or somthing.

Good job so far !

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
HEllo Lookinghard

oooohhh ,very nice very nice indeed love the new shock angle!I am a fan of disc brakes over drum .It would be cool to have electric brake calipars instead of hydralic no brake fluid or master cylinder troubles or hoses .They could operate the same way as electic brakes do now with a controller .a solenoid instead of fluid moves the piston depending on the voltage input .It is probably on the drawing board somewhere.

Scott
Old 04-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
. . . It would be cool to have electric brake calipars instead of hydralic no brake fluid or master cylinder troubles or hoses . . . . . . . . . .It is probably on the drawing board somewhere.

Scott
Although I 'confidently' predicted 18 months ago that these would soon be available, EMB (electromechanical brakes) have hit a major snag.

The first electronic brake system, by Bosch, released in the Mercedes SL500, had to be recalled. Although not a true EMB system, it scared off other manufacturers.

A system was under development by Delphi; we don't know if Delphi will survive bankrupcy.

Continental Teves has a system under development, but I think they are keeping it under wraps until at least 2010.

And of course any system will need a 42V power system.

Kevin, your installation looks absolutely beautiful. Very nice workmanship. What hydraulic actuator are you going to use?
Attached Images

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey markdoane,

Yes EMB I new the auto end of it was kicking it around .Iwonder if the calipar piston could be applied in a way that voltage did not have to be the limiting factor such as needing 42 volts .Most all auto manafacturers will go to 42 volt in the near future as current demands escalate on newer vehicals.My occupation is an automotive mechanic/technition , It will give this field of service some new challenges ,namely high voltage /shock issues,stray voltages etc. Im not sure if they need to be 42 volt ,but thats definatly the direction its headed.

Scott