Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Shocks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

bradford , Vermont
1962 Bambi Replacment Shocks

When i jump up and down in my bambi, it continues to spring up and down. I assume this is because the shocks need replacing. I have also noticed that after a short trip, the interior of the Bambi is destroyed. One time the refrigerator came loose from its mount. I found out later that it was installed improperly, which didn't help. I am looking for the correct replacment part. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks
jeffsmattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Andy at inlandrv! will have the shocks and everything you need but if there is that much bounce you may need a new axle
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsmattson View Post
When i jump up and down in my bambi, it continues to spring up and down. I assume this is because the shocks need replacing. I have also noticed that after a short trip, the interior of the Bambi is destroyed. One time the refrigerator came loose from its mount. I found out later that it was installed improperly, which didn't help. I am looking for the correct replacment part. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks
Sorry, but shocks is the last thing you need.

The first thing is your axle is shot. That's why you had so much interior damage.

Continued usage like that and you will destroy the the rest of the trailer.

Yes, with a new axle, shocks are valueable for a smother ride.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

We have a 1963 and used our original axle just to bring her home... lots of info here on the forum about axles... do a little homework first.... then decide which brand and angle to purchase... You do need a new axle. It is a good investment and the safety factor alone is worth it! My hubby installed our new axle in a day.

Good luck.
Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blogs: Yreka History
Siskiyou County Camping
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

bradford , Vermont
I read that if the angle of the torshen(sp) thing that the wheel is attached to is not possitive it was still OK. This torsion arm is negative (center of wheel is below axle) when on the ground. And when jacked up it may be 5 to 10 degrees negative. It is not bouncing like a car on springs only but, there is a bump or two extra per bounce. Getting an axle in New England, is that possible?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I read that if the angle of the torshen(sp) thing that the wheel is attached to is not possitive it was still OK. This torsion arm is negative (center of wheel is below axle) when on the ground. And when jacked up it may be 5 to 10 degrees negative. It is not bouncing like a car on springs only but, there is a bump or two extra per bounce. Getting an axle in New England, is that possible?
When you jack up one side, the tire should drop about 3 inches.

If not, the rubber rods have solidified. That also contributes to a harsh ride.

Also, please be advised that the 68 and older Bambi's and Caravels have axles with a spindle that is too small. Therefore it fatigue cracks, without notice. Just hit the right bump.

We get a call about once a week from someone who was traveling with one of those models, that is stranded, because a spindle sheared. Of course, they then are going to spend a lot of money with meals and motels.

Many on this Forums will concur.

We ship Henschen axles all over the USA, as well as several foreign countries.

In your case, it would be shipped from Ohio.

Andy
Old 02-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

bradford , Vermont
I am convinced. I need a new axle. I am just guessing, (because the wheels are covered in 2 feet of snow right now!) but I bet the axle is welded on, thats my luck. From what I have read the Henschen axle can be bolted on after this one is cut off. Is this correct? Is it simply a matter of drilling holes in the frame?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I am convinced. I need a new axle. I am just guessing, (because the wheels are covered in 2 feet of snow right now!) but I bet the axle is welded on, thats my luck. From what I have read the Henschen axle can be bolted on after this one is cut off. Is this correct? Is it simply a matter of drilling holes in the frame?
It depend on how the original axle was welded on.

If it was welded directly to the frame, then a new axle can be welded in the same way.

If it was welded to an axle mounting plate, then a new axle can be welded to it as well, or drill some holes.

Andy
Old 03-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

bradford , Vermont
The axle is welded on. It looks as if a plate welded to the axle is welded to a plate that is welded to the outside of the frame. Could I grind off the weld between the plates and bolt the new axle on, or should it be welded directly to the frame?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The axle is welded on. It looks as if a plate welded to the axle is welded to a plate that is welded to the outside of the frame. Could I grind off the weld between the plates and bolt the new axle on, or should it be welded directly to the frame?
You can mount it either way.

Be careful of the alignment.

Your furniture movement is very normal, for a bad axle.

Andy

Tags
1962, 1962 bambi