Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Zip Dee chairs question?

Hello to all, I finally purchased my first Airstream!!! After surfing the internet (almost all of it!),reading..reading and more reading and looking at classifieds my dream finaly came through. I actually got a great deal on a new 2007 30ft Classic, It had been damaged in the dealers yard.
My trailer did not have those zip dee chairs; the dealer says he never got them with the trailer and was not even aware the came with classics because they dont really specialize in Airstreams.
The questions I have is; are they confortable? are they of good quality? are they worth the price they are asking?
I really like that convenient storage space the trailer has for them. I actually only need one chair to put at the end of the dinette or next to the sofa when all my kids are on trips with us. If anyone has another Idea for a comfortable folding chair which could be stored in that compartment I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, hope to hear from someone soon!
wantostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantostream View Post
The questions I have is; are they confortable? are they of good quality? are they worth the price they are asking?
Congratulations on your new purchase. Now, to answer your questions in order:
Yes.
Yes.
I think they are a little high, but they last almost as long as your awning, so maybe they are worth the asking price.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
We love our Zip Dee chairs. They are very solid, they are a perfect match for our Zip Dee awnings, and they fold down to a very small size.

Also, as you mention, they fit the specialized storage area perfectly.

They are not in my opinion the most comfortable folding chairs in the world, but we think they go perfectly with the Airstream, and have not regretted the $100+ we paid for each of them.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We just ordered and rec'd a couple of new Zip Dee's for our 30 year old Ambassador...and we love em'!

The blue striped seat canvas matches our awnings exactly...just a great accessory, easy to stow in their special compartment is a real plus too!

I was sorry we couldn't get the stainless steel tubed type any more, but the chromed steel look great.

They aren't really all that bad to sit in either...they're not lounge chairs, and don't pretend to be...if you want to lay out...get a lounger...if you want a portable chair to fit inside and add some 'class' to your outdoor activities as well, go for the Zip's...a real 'new' classic!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you're more interested in comfort, I'd recommend the zero gravity recliners by Lafuma.

Lafuma Chairs | Every Lafuma Recliner - Reviews & Fast Free Shipping
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Our 2007 30' Classic came with the chairs. They are comfortable, but we prefer to use chairs we bought at Sportsman's Warehouse. They have the foldable tray on the side and cost much less than the Zip Dees. Just my opinion.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Love the Zip Dee's

Overall.... we would not want to be without the Zip Dee chairs.

I'll second the thought they are not loungers. They are resonably comfortable, they are on the heavy side, they are very compact, they match our awning, etc. An AS just does not seem complete without Zip Dee's

By the way, you can purchase replacement fabric from Zip Dee. We had some used Zip Dee's with brown fabric (yuckkkkk!) and easily converted them to Blue/White striped to match our awning. The replacment panels are not listed on the Zip Dee web site - you have to call them and we found them very helpful.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I've never seen one of these ZipDee chairs, anyone have a picture?
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I've never seen one of these ZipDee chairs, anyone have a picture?

Scroll down:

Awnings By ZipDee
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
I agree with Lucius the brown Zip Dee's are not the best color. That is what we have. However we didn't feel we should spend the extra $$$ to purchase blue ones to match the awning. My father and law gave them to us when they retired from A/S and they fit perfect in the little side table compartment in our 28' unit. We picked up a couple lighter weight units after going to the International in Salem a couple of years ago for about $54 each. They have the folding side table and are easier to pack around.

Bob
Member 4CU
# 10105
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Cool, thanks Cameron. I recognize them now, didn't know they were made by ZipDee.

From my grandparents, I have a couple of old 60s/70s aluminum lawn chairs, the kind that had the nylon strips webbed across them. I'm going to replace the webbing with planks made from Ipe' wood, and then those will become my Airstream chairs. They won't fold up quite as small as these ZipDee chairs do, but they'll be lightweight, and I think they'll look pretty cool.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When I bought my Limited, used, the seller said the chairs were "long gone"; Yes, well, um.

Anyway, I decided that I really wanted everything that came with the rig, including the only chairs that would fit in the secret storage compartment (that is sure to delight your friends who have other-branded trailers.)

Yes, they are expensive, but appropos; And, you will only buy them once. By the way, we also bought the LaFumas.

But then, we bought;Airstream. What else can you do? Committment, or worse?

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
It's possible that your chairs were missing before the Airstream arrived at the dealership.
You might ask the dealership to "inquire" on your behalf to Jackson Center, if replacement chairs can be obtained. It was, after all, a factory "gift" for which you paid for..
I would not sign off any factory paperwork, until you get an answer from the factory.
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Great chairs - if taken reasonable care of, they will last for years.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Bob

If you don't like the brown chairs you can purchase a blue fabric from Zip Dee or your dealer. The fabric is very easy to replace and relatively inexpensive.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantostream View Post
I actually got a great deal on a new 2007 30ft Classic, It had been damaged in the dealers yard.
My trailer did not have those zip dee chairs; the dealer says he never got them with the trailer and was not even aware the came with classics because they dont really specialize in Airstreams.
I really like that convenient storage space the trailer has for them. I actually only need one chair to put at the end of the dinette or next to the sofa when all my kids are on trips with us. If anyone has another Idea for a comfortable folding chair which could be stored in that compartment I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, hope to hear from someone soon!
Our dealer tried to play "innocent" re: missing ZipDee chairs, as well. When we first looked through our trailer, which was located off the main lot, the chairs were in cardboard boxes in the shower....so, we knew they had received them! When cornered, they came up with the chairs....

The ZipDee chairs are heavy, well-made chairs, and I consider them to be comfortable. We use them as back-up chairs, preferring to use our USA-made Coleman chairs for everyday use, then pull out the ZipDees if company arrives. Worth the price? I think so....but, I like to buy American-made, so I am used to paying more.

We have a 2004 30' Classic, and I doubt the ZipDee would fit at the end of the dinette. Even if the chair fits, it would be so tight that it would be difficult for anyone to get out during a meal! I think a stool might work best. Or, we found a 16" square ottoman at, I think, Crate & Barrel that works for storage (on the inside), a place to put your feet up, or a spare seat. This might work for you, too!

Cheers

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
The replacment panels are not listed on the Zip Dee web site - you have to call them and we found them very helpful
They actually will make the seats in any Sunbrella fabric, so you can get creative with your colors if you want. We got ours in a solid aquamarine, which coordinates nicely with our striped awning....and it's different so when at a rally full of ZipDees, ours are easy for us to spot.

We may have to get a second pair to match Birdie's awning...or at least a second pair of seats to change out depending on which trailer we take.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote