In April 2019, I decided to have back surgery, and decided to put this renovation on hold for the time being. I ended up accepting a job in Las Vegas where I brought the airstream and worked on it here and there. Mostly just running circles in my head if I should gut everything and start fresh or fix and clean what was needed.
Do to COVID work closed their doors in April 2020, and I decided to move to Sacramento with my brother where I now have the space and time to continue this project. Shortly before moving from Vegas to Sacramento, a Momma squirrel decided that my airstream made a comfy home. A few days after parking the airstream and unloading it/cleaning I found four baby squirrels in it. I managed to catch them all safely and brought them to the Wildlife Care Association.
Due to the squirrels being in there, and my fear that mice had torn up the insulation of the walls, I decided to pull a few interior skin panels out to assess damage and formulate a plan. It became pretty clear the mice had gotten EVERYWHERE. So the decision was made to pull everything out.
I pulled all of the interior out, then removed all of the interior skin. I’m very thankful that I did this as I found numerous spots the mice had shredded the insulation and bedded down. Extremely gross. Now that I have everything removed and all the insulation out, I found that the water heater had cracked, which caused more floor rot. I know from being underneath the airstream about two years ago when I put the new belly pan up, that the frame is in pretty good shape. But i’m regretting having spent the time and money on doing that, as now I am contemplating doing a shell of restoration. Most of the subfloor is in OK shape, but a few parts are rotted through, and even spots that aren’t rusted, I can tell had water on them and aren’t level.