Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2018, 12:20 AM   #121
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyweav View Post
I know you use solar, but how much energy do these take to keep them operational during realistic use? I want the option of boondocking but haven't decided if I want solar yet. Would these drain batteries ridiculously fast? Thanks for all of the information! I love your set up!
They're rated at max 5.1 amps per hour using 12v power source. (I isolated their draw and confirmed this) The beauty is that as a refrigerator they're not on that much and when you do access it you're not dumping the cold air. As a freezer I'd say it works about twice as much but still very efficient. I just got back from a week boondocking in Eastern Washington with each running - one as a fridge and the other as a freezer. Along with led lights, water pump, 42" 4k TV with 2.1 surround sound, DVD player, stereo etc my 640w MPPT solar system fully recharged my 600ah battery system by mid day the following day. Full sun. Hard to give clear performance data on the Whynter units but in my case they've worked exceptionally well and have been efficient.
Pygmypoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman1 View Post
The forum is a love/waste relationship for me. When I sign on to look up threads on a current project (water heater in this case) the search inevitably gets hijacked by . Love reading and learning from others experience/ waste a lot of time doing it. Is there a help group for this?
Thanks Pygmypoacher for taking the time over the years to continue to upgrade your very beautiful and unique AS and for answering all the questions that your creativeness generates.
Thanks, it's been fun.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #123
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
wood stove

Youve inspired me to install a wood stove. At first I thought about doing another airstream....then came to my senses and figured I'll just make some changes to the trailer I already built.... Anyway Im about to order the grizzly. Im curious what all you bought from tiny wood stoves. I'm thinking I can get everything I need from Cubic mini except the boot, the cap and the inner flashing. They recommended the flashing from Nick. Is there anything else Im missing?
btw Im Stanley29. Had to change my profile because I couldnt log into my old account. Cheers, Mike
Stanley29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #124
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley29 View Post
Youve inspired me to install a wood stove. At first I thought about doing another airstream....then came to my senses and figured I'll just make some changes to the trailer I already built.... Anyway Im about to order the grizzly. Im curious what all you bought from tiny wood stoves. I'm thinking I can get everything I need from Cubic mini except the boot, the cap and the inner flashing. They recommended the flashing from Nick. Is there anything else Im missing?
btw Im Stanley29. Had to change my profile because I couldnt log into my old account. Cheers, Mike
Consider the secondary air intake - it's a stainless vented platform the stove mounts to. Keeps from burning your interior oxygen for combustion. Look at some of his stoves - I believe he makes a dwarf stove. There some nice features such as air wash off the glass window. Wish you well with your build. Love these tiny stoves!
Old 12-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #125
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
Wood stove

Thanks....I think that will make a big difference. Do you think the Grizzly would be overkill for my 26ft cruiser? The only problem I see with a smaller stove is having to tend to it constantly. One of my other concerns with the stove is smoke getting into the trailer.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
FYI, the TinyWoodStove 3" ceiling trim plates and other parts like the roof support bracket and roof vent do NOT fit the Cubic Mini pipe. The TWS 3" insulated pipe is 5" outer diameter (it has 1" of insulation between the two walls) where the Cubic pipe is 3-1/8" outer diameter.

If you want to use a cubic mini with a TWS roof exit kit, TWS has an adapter to easily transition from one vendor to the other. But you can't mix and match.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #127
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
stove

Thanks,
Im thinking I will buy everything I can from cubic mini. They did recommend the tws inside flange. Everything els I can get from them or Homedepot
Old 12-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #128
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Thanks....I think that will make a big difference. Do you think the Grizzly would be overkill for my 26ft cruiser? The only problem I see with a smaller stove is having to tend to it constantly. One of my other concerns with the stove is smoke getting into the trailer.
Definitely get the Grizzly. Zero issues with smoke inside once the draft is established. Leave door cracked 1/4" from the start until you have a nice bed of coals. Gives the fire plenty of air and keeps window clear-ish. Then you can pack the stove full of wood, close door and be good for hours. Also, get an Ecofan to push the warm air around.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #129
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
Cubic mini

Pulled the trigger today on the Grizzly. I took your advice and went with the vent to help with combustion. I'll have to modify it to work on a end table. Does not sound difficult. Curious how many pieces of flue you used. I'm hoping I can get by with 48". I'll post Picts on the remodel. Cheers, Mike
Old 12-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #130
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Pulled the trigger today on the Grizzly. I took your advice and went with the vent to help with combustion. I'll have to modify it to work on a end table. Does not sound difficult. Curious how many pieces of flue you used. I'm hoping I can get by with 48". I'll post Picts on the remodel. Cheers, Mike
Just need to ruin 1/2 to 1in conduit from outside to under the vent platform. End table shouldn't be an issue if it's fixed in place. I've got a single piece of double wall which takes me a few inches above roof then transitions to single with cap. Congrats!
Old 12-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #131
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
Cubic mini

Thanks, I'll be ready for some winter camping. I'm excited to get it in. Finished most of the curb side remodel. Basically moved the fridge to make room for the stove and put in a bench instead of counter I never used. I'll post som Picts. Cheers, Mike
Old 12-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #132
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
Wood stove

I like the way you tied in the surrounding heat deflectors. Looks like corrugated roofing material . Curious how you went about that. Are there 2 pieces attached to each other with spacers between them? How did you secure them to the table top?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #133
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
I like the way you tied in the surrounding heat deflectors. Looks like corrugated roofing material . Curious how you went about that. Are there 2 pieces attached to each other with spacers between them? How did you secure them to the table top?
I used 1/4 inch corrugated tin. Only on the couch side did I double up and simply used aluminum tubing cut to the spacing I wanted and bolted through. Second piece never gets warm.

I attached the unused Chimney wall guard to the side of the cabinet and screwed the outside tin to that. Provides enough rigidity to lean against.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #134
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
Cubic mini

Thanks for the info
Old 12-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #135
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
wood stove

I have a question maybe you can help me out. Im in the process of cutting a big f@#$@!ing hole in the top of my airstream. curious if you made a support for the flue coming out of the top or is it just kind of loose in that boot? Also Im guessing you made your inner support for the flue. Did you just make a close tolerance hole and slide the flue through? Doesnt seem like enough support. cheers, Mike
Old 12-25-2018, 08:15 PM   #136
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
I have a question maybe you can help me out. Im in the process of cutting a big f@#$@!ing hole in the top of my airstream. curious if you made a support for the flue coming out of the top or is it just kind of loose in that boot? Also Im guessing you made your inner support for the flue. Did you just make a close tolerance hole and slide the flue through? Doesnt seem like enough support. cheers, Mike
It's the Dektite flashing (stove pipe boot mounted on the roof) which stabilizes the pipe. Pipe rests on the stove. I cut the inside hole @2inches large in diameter than the pipe. I then cut a long strip of aluminum the width of the space between inner and outer aluminum and used that in the roof gap to create a shield to keep the insulation protected. I recommend allowing the dektite boot to ride up the pipe a bit. I installed mine accordianed down and over time it extended and lifted the pipe. Not enough to cause any problems but about 1/2in or so.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #137
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Love the thread and the quality of work. I'm digging the wood fired stove and will likely implement something similar in my building.

Pygmypoacher, is it possible to get a few more photos of the interior and exterior of where the flue goes through the shells? Based off your description I think I know what you are meaning but pictures or even a sketch would help tremendously.
Disable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #138
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
It has been a joy to follow your thread and milestone the progress since inception. It is a spectacular creation! Thanks for continuing the effort to post.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:57 PM   #139
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disable View Post
Love the thread and the quality of work. I'm digging the wood fired stove and will likely implement something similar in my building.

Pygmypoacher, is it possible to get a few more photos of the interior and exterior of where the flue goes through the shells? Based off your description I think I know what you are meaning but pictures or even a sketch would help tremendously.
Here is one of the posts that I used to prep for my installation

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...6&share_type=t

Flashing for Dickinson wood stove chimney
Old 12-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #140
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
wood stove

Hi Pygmy,
do you have any close up picts of the inside trim? The problem Im having is trying to figure out how to cut the hole around the flue on the inside of the trailer. The hole has to be oval which is damn near impossible to make look clean without a plasma cutter or something I do not own. I was thinking I would cut a larger round hole say 4 or 5 inch round hole than try to trim around the flue. Im going to make a separate piece of aluminum polished up nice to span the hole distance from the stove up the wall. Ill make the hole then rivet it to the aluminum piece to the wall. Not pretty. Is this what you did? Cheers, Mike