Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Custom
Paradise , California
Question wires coming out of wall over sink?

Any idea what was connected to these wires that come out of the wall over the sink? Hope the picture's not too dark. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	116620  
abrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Don't know your trailer intimately, but,

There's usually lighting over the sink in an AS...
Old 12-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
It could be 12v and/or 110v for lights. There is a 10 year difference, but in my 1968, I have wiring for lighting. The exhaust hood is also in the same overhead bin, and wiring for it comes down through the vent.

In the location where your wires are, on my Trade Wind the Control Center is located in the cabinet below that overhead compartment, above the counter, and contains all of the 12v meters and a couple of 110v outlets. A large bundle of 12v and 110v lines emerge from the wall. It's a mess of spaghetti in my Trade Wind. The wiring colors are helpful to distinguish 12v from 110v. My Trade Wind is easier, also, because it has Romex for 110v, and the 12v wires are red and black, in a heavier gauge, not combined in a sheath together.

Somewhere, I read that some vintage Airstreams had electrical lights both 12v and 110v, identical in appearance, installed side-by-side. (Even earlier models had the propane lights.) The power supply is all that differentiated the two, and one or the other would be used depending on the availability of shore power. Locations of these sets would be over the kitchen counters, in the bath, and in the bedrooms, probably other convenient locations.

My Trade Wind has two flourescent fixtures over the sink and range area, but both are 12v.

Also, depending on how your Airstream might have been modified over time, it may be possible only to check the voltage/amps and trace the path through the walls, if you ever have the opportunity to remove the inner skin panels.

I'm getting into that now. It's sometimes a mystery or a puzzle. My Multimeter has been very helpful in the sorting out of wiring.

Good luck!
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrodsky View Post
Any idea what was connected to these wires that come out of the wall over the sink? Hope the picture's not too dark. Thanks!
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote