Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10
What is this material named?

Hi friends,
This is my first post as a new member. I am restoring my mom's "74" Excella 500! I am very excited about this project! As a family, we had some great times in the old gal! I am looking for a used truck or suburban to tow it with this winter and have been spending the summer weekends working on the camper. It has been sitting up for quite some time. It is at the opposite end of the state, so this is every-other-weekend, drive down there, slow going. Nonetheless, it is slowly coming together. I am amazed at how well it has held up despite the neglect! So much of the work I have done has been hidden from view, plumbing, wiring, etc.... What I need to do for my own inspiration to continue working and putting money into the project is to do some easy, highly visible, and "feel good" repairs. Many of the roll-up storage drawers are damaged. What do you call this stuff and can I repair these or are they available somewhere? I don't quite know how to describe them, other than to say that they are the covers for the storage comparments found throughout the trailer. They roll-up or down and are accordion like. Can anyone tell me what they call this material? Thanks
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Just a member
thenewkid64's Avatar
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,543
Images: 21
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Welcome to the forums!

The term for the roll ups is tambour. Run a search in it in the search box and you will find a ton of posts on it.
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10
Smile Tambour repair, step by step

Thanks Brett G!
Wow! After you told me the material was called "Tambour," I was able to find information easily on the internet and here in the forums! A web site by a manufacturer recommended using contact cement to glue a non-stretching cloth to the back of the tambour to repair the breaks. Lo and behold! Here in a previous thread is an article by "Chuck" with a link for step-by-step instructions for DIY!!! I have placed the link below, hope I did it right! I can't wait to get back home and get started. Thanks for the info.!
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Window Material??? 05ModPod Windows & Screens 4 03-02-2004 07:26 PM
Window Screen Material Paul and Sue Windows & Screens 1 08-08-2003 11:44 AM
"Streetcar Named Desire" movie coach??? fangthorpe Airstream Motorhome Forums 1 05-13-2003 06:27 PM
Awning material source NASCAR345 Awnings 6 03-03-2003 11:12 PM

Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.