Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Wasnt for sure of where to put this....

We like most of you are having problems with leaks in the rear.In two small area under each bed.We are in the works of replace the two small spots in the floor.My husband was wondering what you'll thought of rolling on a thin layer of cool seal on the inside wall since we have the inter wall half way off already anyway.To try to stop some of these leak problems we're all having.But he would like to know what you'll think ....
Old 05-04-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I wouldn't use it. Most leaks are at the seams where water is wicked into the seam. Painting the inside surface will not prevent water from entering the seam from the outside, it will just capture the water inside the seam. That water will keep the Kool Seal damp, and you will have lots of mildew and bacterial growth inside the walls.

Products like Kool Seal are meant to be applied to outside surfaces where they are exposed to sunlight and allowed to dry out. They are mold and mildew "resistant", but will mildew if kept in a dark and moist environment.

My recommendation: don't do it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I wouldn't use it. Most leaks are at the seams where water is wicked into the seam. Painting the inside surface will not prevent water from entering the seam from the outside, it will just capture the water inside the seam. That water will keep the Kool Seal damp, and you will have lots of mildew and bacterial growth inside the walls.

Products like Kool Seal are meant to be applied to outside surfaces where they are exposed to sunlight and allowed to dry out. They are mold and mildew "resistant", but will mildew if kept in a dark and moist environment.

My recommendation: don't do it.
We were talking about putting it on the outer shell inside the camper wall not the inter walls inside the camper.My husband was going to put a commerical heat blower in the side to cure it to the shell.Which he was think it could help keep the water from coming in. To help prevent future problem that we are having with water leaking inside at the rear..
Old 05-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hi Angel, The problem with doing what you are talking about is that where the water is coming in on the inside of your trailer isn't necessarily where it is coming in on the outside. Water will travel the path of least resistance, so if you do what you are talking about, it will show up some place else. I have found that you can only fix a leak from the outsiide. If you soap the outside down and blow compressed air where you see the water on the inside and look outside for bubbles you will find where the water is coming in. Hope this helps. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I understood what you were going to do. Go ahead if you want to. Good luck.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Hummmm

There had to be a way to stop this from hapening.We repaired everything i can on the outside and we're still having leaks.Just in the back of the camper.And i really dont see that we can do much of anything else....Unless we just have to live with it...
Old 05-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I understood what you were going to do. Go ahead if you want to. Good luck.
Oh i must of miss read what i thought you wrote then ... sorry
Old 05-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
We to have a bad leak and we still have not found the culprit. So it is off to caulk EVERYTHING, replace window sealing and we are replacing fans and skylights. That said I told Steve while we were working on the trailer last weekend we were going about it all wrong. It's not about stopping the leak but embracing it. Someone needs to think of a small drain you could install just below the leak to get the water back out again..... Good Luck.
Steve's Wife
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Water leaks.

The most common water leak for every Argosy and Airstream product ever built since the mid 60's, is the "sewer vent pipe gaskets".

Yet, it usually is the last item most owners ever look at, and usually only after they have exhausted all the other sources.

That gasket, can deteriorate in as little as 4 years, depending on the location of the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood
We to have a bad leak and we still have not found the culprit. So it is off to caulk EVERYTHING, replace window sealing and we are replacing fans and skylights. That said I told Steve while we were working on the trailer last weekend we were going about it all wrong. It's not about stopping the leak but embracing it. Someone needs to think of a small drain you could install just below the leak to get the water back out again..... Good Luck.
Steve's Wife
Maybe that it....lol maybe we should just drill some hole around the U channel inside the shell put some screen in them to keep out bugs.And let it drain itself maybe even put in a drain or two under the camper (like the ones in the shower or something)to let the water out of the undercarage...? Maybe,....who know how this problem could be repaired for all of us...
Old 05-04-2006, 10:21 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The most common water leak for every Argosy and Airstream product ever built since the mid 60's, is the "sewer vent pipe gaskets".

Yet, it usually is the last item most owners ever look at, and usually only after they have exhausted all the other sources.

That gasket, can deteriorate in as little as 4 years, depending on the location of the trailer.

Andy
Oh man that mean taking the rviet off the out side of the camper?Thats a scare thought...What would someone need to do that with Andy...all ive ever worked on is the inside?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel73
Oh man that mean taking the rviet off the out side of the camper?Thats a scare thought...What would someone need to do that with Andy...all ive ever worked on is the inside?
The sewer vent pipe covers are all held in place with 4 sheet metal screws.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Thank goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The sewer vent pipe covers are all held in place with 4 sheet metal screws.

Andy
I can get those out
Old 05-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
don't be afraid of rivets! Really the hardest part is removing the old one without warping the hole. Most recommend drilling it out with a bradpoint drill bit, while some use a paint scraper to chop the rivet in half, between the two joined parts. Putting the new rivet in, using a pop rivet gun is a breeze and should be in the arsenal of all vintage AS owners.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
I have one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
don't be afraid of rivets! Really the hardest part is removing the old one without warping the hole. Most recommend drilling it out with a bradpoint drill bit, while some use a paint scraper to chop the rivet in half, between the two joined parts. Putting the new rivet in, using a pop rivet gun is a breeze and should be in the arsenal of all vintage AS owners.
I have a rivet gun it just doesnt like me very much....lol
Old 05-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
find a leak

I had one on one side of the rear of mine and on the very back.I found them by taking a hos and starting at the bottom of the trailor wetting down the seams and fittings untill I got water inside.The inside needs to be dry to do this but it sounds like you allready have the inside skin peeled up so you can actually see the water run in.I went from 1/3 of the way to the front of the trailor from the rear.I went 2 feet up from the bottom and ran the hose for about 10 minutes in each place all around the back. I gave it about 2 hours to run down.I then moved up 2 feet and went around again.It took a while but I found a leak above my back window that was running down to the center below the window and to the curb side corner.I also found one behind the awning support arm bracket.Good luck .I also agree with the others find the leak and fix it from the outside.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote