Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Prudenville , Michigan
Smile Vinyl walls in 1975 Land Yacht

Does anyone know if the the walls in my 1975 Land Yatch are vinyl covered aluminum? I see it in the AS in the 60's. Might be more interesting than just painting them. Stripping would be a big project though.
Hamptastic75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The interior walls of my '74 Argosy are vinyl. I used "Simple Green" to clean. It came out really nice.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The original inner skins are vinyl covered aluminum.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
My understanding is they were mimicking the airplane finish of the day.

I too heard clean up with simple green and (double check this) but use mop and glow or something odd like it to deal with stickiness of glue coming through. Again double check it but that is what I believe I have heard. I have not had a problem with the glue or stickiness.

Maybe someone else can chime in on the M&G

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
There was an identical thread to this just a week ago - do a simple search and all your questions - even the ones you haven't yet asked - will be answered! (and "Krudkutter" for the cleaner is the key. Short answer: simplest way is to clean the vinyl you have. Painting is putting the wrong surface cover on a flexible, vinyl product).
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
For me, Krud cutter followed by simple green followed by clear water works to remove the "sticky" from the vinyl.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I used a few MR Clean magic erasers to clean the vinyl walls while the interior was gutted it took only 2.5 hours to have clean walls.

Damp magic eraser followed by water rinse with micro fiber towel .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Prudenville , Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1467902256.216054.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	266207
She started the process for me. Looks like there is no going back lol. I needed a hobby. I guess this will do. So do you paint a clear coat over the aluminum when you get it to the shine that you want. I can't imagine buffing it yearly to keep up the shine. Might be the price to pay for going all the way lol.
Hamptastic75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
Stripping Vinyl on 1973 Trade Wind

Ok I decided to do this after watching a YouTube video that made it seem so simple. The jasco stripper works great! However I am struggling to get all the glue off. I have scrubbed and scrubbed using goof-off and more goof-off. I can still see glue. Does anyone have a better product to remove that glue which won't hurt the aluminum?
AuntieLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:42 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
Cool Trick to get glue off

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLori View Post
Ok I decided to do this after watching a YouTube video that made it seem so simple. The jasco stripper works great! However I am struggling to get all the glue off. I have scrubbed and scrubbed using goof-off and more goof-off. I can still see glue. Does anyone have a better product to remove that glue which won't hurt the aluminum?
Stripping the walls has actually been a pretty easy process. The trick is to remove the walls and do it outside. You must first remove all of the remaining rivet bits. Lau the on a flat surface and then liberally coat it with the Jasco stripper.

Make sure you use the appropriate gloves. After it has sat for 15 to 25 minutes use a plastic paint scraper thingy to lift up one edge of the vinyl and then just pull. On areas where you didn't coat it well it may still stick. At that point you can either rip it or stop and put a little bit more jasco on that area and let it sit for another 15 minutes.

Once the vinyl is off I then used a small rag to wipe off any remaining stripper. For about half of my panels I was able to use goof off to remove the remaining blue. Goof off evaporates very quickly so make sure you keep putting your lid back on the can. Poor a little goof off into your rag and then just rub in a circular motion until all of the glue is gone. You will need multiple rags otherwise you just spread the glue around. After the glue was removed I then used mineral spirits to wipe down the panel to clean it off.

On the other half of my panels the glue just did not want to come off. I tried adding more stripper, then wiped it off and applied more goof off and it still didn't work. I had a brainstorm yesterday and tried this on one panel and it worked. I left the panel sitting out in that hot Florida sun for about 30 minutes till it was nice and toasty. I tried a little bit of goof off but evaporated so quickly it did not work. Then I tried lacquer thinner and I was able to get the glue off. I think the heat softened the glue enough so that the lacquer thinner was able to remove it. I'm going to try this method again this afternoon to see if I can clean off the remaining panels.

Keep in mind these chemicals are highly flammable. They also are dangerous to breathe. You do not want to do this inside your camper and I would highly discourage you from using another heat source in combination with these chemicals. A spark from a heat gun or a blow dryer and everything becomes toast including you.
AuntieLori is offline   Reply With Quote