Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
upholstery costs

This is for the several of you who suggested tlking with a car detail or restoration shop for purposes of upholstering the sofa.
The shop called back today. It only took him nine days to get back to us after coming and looking at the project.
This is a recap of the phone conversation
Rrrringggg.
me: Hello
phone: Hi, this is Ron from the detail shop. Um, I have a ummm price for you. Ummm. Ummm. The best ummm I can do ummmm for you is eleven ummm hundred dollars ummmm?
me: I Don't THINK so! (Immediately followed by a click... the sound of my hanging up)
Didn't even say goodby!
Just when I thought I was over sticker shock on this project. Ummmm. I lost my sense of humor and the absurd there for a while. Then went to the courthouse to try and get out of jury duty. Yup, been called for the fifth time! And never served ona jury! I think once you've been called three times, you should be exempt! Something about a courthouse visit always restores at least my sense of the absurd!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 08-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi elizabeth

seems there is a thread or 2 here on diy upholstery and costs for professionals or using local folks....maybe you've seen these threads.

re upholstery gives ones the opportunity to select better/modern fabrics and replace padding to as good as new.....AND it almost always costs the same as buying new.....sofa, chair or whatever.

since the sofa comes out easily anyone with furniture skills can do the job and i'll bet there are folks in your locale who do furniture very well. they could do this too. expect to pay 800-1400$$ depending on material selected, and you drop off and pick the finished piece.

diy can work if you have access to fabric and a sewing machine....others do it all the time...and there is likely some selfemployed upholstery folks in your town.

also it might be possible to cover the sofa with one of the nice semi custom slip covers now available....but even these aren't cheap.

i understand the price shock, but it's too bad you hung up without gettng more info....i'll bet the shop was going to contract the work out to someone else anyway....maybe you can find out who and negotiate you own deal.

good luck
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

We got quoted $700.00 to do ours. Denise was suficiently sticker-shocked to make a trip to the Bueclaire (sp?) fabric store and tackle it herself. She lucked out and found some material we liked that happenned to be on a 1/2 price sale, dove right into it and really did a damn fine job of re-covering everything. Total cost was under $200.00. I've really gotta post some pictures one of these days.................... P
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Vo/tec

Check your local vocational & technical high school. They may TEACH upholstery. You could get your sofa done as a class project. You buy the materials, they do the work.

Also check with your local fabric shop and see if they have upholstery / slipcovering courses.

You can dewit!

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
$1100 is not unusual at all. Depends on the fabric and quality of the work. When we did our interior, the cost of new couch, captains chairs, side chairs and trim were way more than recovering, which also retained our original design form, although the fabrics are much upgraded.
It is possible even to DIY if you have the time and can get the skills.

http://www.airforums.com/photo...c=500&userid=5
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:10 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Yep!

I have done some upholstery on several AS's and I too have concluded that it is cheaper to do it yourself but I understand that it is not for every body.

I have concluded that it is definitley (typically) cheaper to buy a brand new piece of furniture than it is to recover it.

You can usually find some clearance or discounted furniture at several places on the internet. If you are not to particular about patterns, Camping world sells about three different colors and you can replace almost all of your furniture for under 2K, (1)sofa, (2)chairs and (2)captain chairs in a MH.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote