Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Underseat Safe Manufacturer

Under one of the dinette seats of a recently purchased Airstream (86 34 foot Limited) we have discovered a cylindrical safe. It is currently unusable because a former owner has removed the locking mechanism and now it is just a twist open very sturdy compartment. I would like to find out the manufacturer so I can try to order a new lock mechanism complete with keys so that I could restore this fine safe to its former glory. (and actually use it)

The lock mechanism just bolts onto the back of the cap with 2 bolts and then the key causes a pin to extend and retract.

Help anyone?

Thanks,

Full Time.....keeping the shiny side up

Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:47 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
sounds like a job for your local locksmith.

they would know where to order the parts or even have them in stock.

john
Old 12-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Locksmith no help

Tried a locksmith. He said this was an unusal lock and to get a new one we needed to know the manufacturer. He also suggested a solution involving a cheap desk lock and some fancy welding to get another piece on it by a machine shop, but that seemed to be an expensive non-quality solution to me since the desk lock wasn't very substantial and could be picked or punched very easily. The original lock required a cylindrical key and had about 7-8 pins that needed moved by that key and was pretty substantial. So, I'm still trying to find the manufacturer since the label had been removed.

Anyone else have any info?

Thanks,

Lee

Old 12-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Lee, I found this old thread http://airstreamforums.com/forums/f2...-box-1364.html
It talks about the safe, gives some names, it may be of some help. Good luck.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Cylinder Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Lee, I found this old thread http://airstreamforums.com/forums/f2...-box-1364.html
It talks about the safe, gives some names, it may be of some help. Good luck.
I read these before but they are apparently rectangular boxes as opposed to cylinders. I sent a note to Airstream and got a reply saying they had no parts or information on anything like this because after several years of non-use of any item the info is deleted from their system.

Looks like a dead end unless someone else finds a replica somewhere and can find out a mfg that still makes something like this.

Thanks anyway

Lee

Old 01-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Try More Locksmiths...

After similar frustration with door lock cylinders, etc, I'd offer advice to try and ask a minimum of a dozen other locksmiths, even if you have to go to Library for yellow pages for nearby cities... Many locksmiths who are relatively new know how to work on US Auto locks and residential door locks.. Any other knowledge is a potential bonus... Bargman has been through some corporate restructuring since the 80's, and may have sold or acquired "lines" of locks and latches and safes....

There are replacement round floor safes (Like Amsec Star brand or others) but they use multiple lock pins, not a single pin... You may want to just try and hide one of your own, as other thread suggested, or use one of deceptive devices, like screw-off phony aerosol or soda cans... Deception is 90% of the battle, since a determined thief can remove about anything they identify as holding valuables... Our extra cash and keys in trailer are hidden so well I can't remember where they are, so I figure a thief will just grab the TV and run...

John McG

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote