Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Brooklyn , New York
Twin Bed Storage Drawers ideas

I'm rebuilding the twin beds in the back mid section of my 31' Sovereign. Trying to figure out the best way to utilize the space under the bed. The simplest solution is to just have a piece of ply under the mattress that can be lifted to expose storage. I was thinking however, that this may be a little awkward.

Another option would be to build some doors into the bottom that can swing out and things can just be stuffed inside.

The third option is to build a proper drawer that slides out, but this seems like it will require the most amount of work.

Any suggestions ?
estock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I have a year 2000, 25-foot Excella with rear twin beds. I still have and use the original, factory-installed storage underneath. It is simple, easy to use, and would be easy and inexpensive to install...no doubt why the factory used this method in the first place. There are two doors underneath each bed, hinged at the bottom, so when they're open, the doors lay on the floor. Inside the compartments are plastic tubs sized to the opening that can be pulled out to access the contents. The drop-down doors would be easy to install, finding the right tubs might require a search; but if you want to get fancy, you might even make drawer boxes out of wood, and mount them on drawer hardware to glide in and out.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
I have a year 2000, 25-foot Excella with rear twin beds. I still have and use the original, factory-installed storage underneath. It is simple, easy to use, and would be easy and inexpensive to install...no doubt why the factory used this method in the first place. There are two doors underneath each bed, hinged at the bottom, so when they're open, the doors lay on the floor. Inside the compartments are plastic tubs sized to the opening that can be pulled out to access the contents. The drop-down doors would be easy to install, finding the right tubs might require a search; but if you want to get fancy, you might even make drawer boxes out of wood, and mount them on drawer hardware to glide in and out.

The origninal brown plastic drawers could be removed and taken inside your home. You could pack your things in the drawers and then take them back to the AS. You didn't need to handle your things twice.
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
In my 2005 rear queen Classic, I reused the two drawers and left the space behind them open for loose storage when I converted to twin beds. One side has access from the outside. The other, I undo two screws and lift up the plywood. I may put in an outside access door, but we usually do not need the storage.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We find the bottom hinged door and tubs hard to use. Old backs and joints don't like to bend over that far to open, close and get stuff out. I am planning to turn the doors into drawer fronts or make some raised panel drawer fronts, build drawers, and put them on slides. I may make two drawers on each side instead of just one large one.

We extended the bed base to the hanging locker wall and replaced the 75" mattresses with Sleep Number long twin mattresses. While very comfortable, they make lifting up the mattress to gain access to storage difficult.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I built in large sliding drawers under my settee, and find them very handy to have. They were sized to fit an airline-overhead-bin max suitcase, so it's easy to have things packed away, and change out our camping clothes.

I wish that I'd taken the time to make the drawer fronts slant backwards, so that there would be more room for my heels when getting up. More complexity, though.

I like to get my my drawer slides from Rockler, especially when you want a non-standard size. They have full extension ball-bearing slides that will hold tremendous weight, so no worries about a heavy drawer.

Be sure to have some sort of positive latch on them, as they like to slide out on their own while going down the road. Marine hardware is good for this.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
I built 4 sided bins accessible only from the top by using pistons to lift the plywood & mattress on our 25 twin classic...holds a enormous amount of stuff in the bins and there are several under each bed at about 18" each but you can adjust for your needs and build accordingly. Recently moved up to a 31 Classic with twins...am doing it again.
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by estock View Post
I'm rebuilding the twin beds in the back mid section of my 31' Sovereign. Trying to figure out the best way to utilize the space under the bed. The simplest solution is to just have a piece of ply under the mattress that can be lifted to expose storage. I was thinking however, that this may be a little awkward.

Another option would be to build some doors into the bottom that can swing out and things can just be stuffed inside.

The third option is to build a proper drawer that slides out, but this seems like it will require the most amount of work.

Any suggestions ?
I built two drawers and installed under my twin bed. They pull out via full extension slides. A matching drawer front is hinged to drop down and reveal additional storage. It provides enough room for two more batteries if we ever add solar. The water tank is under hubby’s bed.
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
RTT

Niagara Falls , Ontario
Bed storage - We have a twin bed 25' Flying cloud FB. I removed the doors that opened down and lay open on the floor, removed the hinges, built 4 drawers to fit the entire open spaces, and used full extension, self latching drawer slides (from Lee Valley). I used the original cupboard doors that match the decor, as drawer fronts. They work perfectly, open fully for easy access, and close securely. Very useful clothes storage, with easy access.

To install, I removed the bed plywood cover and mattress, and had lots of room to work and install the slides and shim them perfectly square. The factory framework was close but not perfectly square.

We really like this change.
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroyl View Post
I built two drawers and installed under my twin bed. They pull out via full extension slides. A matching drawer front is hinged to drop down and reveal additional storage. It provides enough room for two more batteries if we ever add solar. The water tank is under hubby’s bed.
Caution on installing two 12V batteries on the interior storage space under your Airstream bed. Batteries will commonly vent hydrogen or other gas types during repeated power draw down and recharge cycles. Proper ventilation is always recommended.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
rosyriveter

1966 24' Tradewind
1959 18' Traveler
Winchester , Virginia
We recently completed the restoration of our 1966 Tradewind with two twin beds. It originally had cabinet doors that you opened and dropped down with the plastic bins inside on rails. We really didn't like that design because the doors were always flopping open no matter how many times we adjusted the locks. They also took up aisle space and were awkward. Instead, we rebuilt the bed frames out of aluminum L stock and riveted to the walls. We attached ash veneered wood fronts with sliding doors (like the overhead cabinets in earlier airstream models) to the aluminum frames. These work great! We have clear plastic bins with lids that we put inside. The space is really flexible now for storage depending on where we are going for how long. I've attached pictures of the sliding doors and the aluminum bedframe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed cabinet doors.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	312535  
Attached Images

annieairstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martee View Post
Caution on installing two 12V batteries on the interior storage space under your Airstream bed. Batteries will commonly vent hydrogen or other gas types during repeated power draw down and recharge cycles. Proper ventilation is always recommended.

We have AGM batteries.
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Your trailer, your choice....

Consider what it will be like living with whatever you choose for the next 5 to 10 years. If you go the quick and easy way and then grow to hate it and have to do it over... well doing the.mpst elegant thing you can think of First makes more sense.

I personally wish all of my flip down lower doors were drawers with heavy-duty full extension rails... everything I want seems to burrow to the back and bottom of these spaces and the knees hate it when I have to really search.

Oh, if I only had some real cabinetry skills or just pots of money.

Paula
Old 06-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
lower and upper drawers made

I just couldn't lift the mattress up any more and then here "oh I don't want this shirt, could you lift it up again". These drawers are a game changer. The drawers above the bed flip up and don't fall down on your arms as you are taking supplies out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drawers.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	314323   Click image for larger version

Name:	drawers 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	314324  

Name:	drawers 3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	314325   Click image for larger version

Name:	drawers 4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	314326  

75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #15

2018 26' Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Coach
Clifton , New Jersey
When we started thinking about the twin bed mod, there were 3 things we especially wanted to accomplish.
1. To widen the twin beds without adding much weight.
2. To keep the King bed option https://10restbest.com/best-storage-beds
3. Comfort - the cushion cording, around the edges, had to be placed where it would not be uncomfortable.

To accomplish these goals, we found it was necessary to resize all the cushions. They are 6 inches thick, made of 4" firm density foam with 2" medium density foam glued to the top. A personal choice we find to be very comfortable.

The table is about 23 X 31". It can be set up at the rear of the aisle or nearer the kitchen. Sometimes it is left stored under the rear seat. All of the seat cushions are 25' deep. During the day the thick filler cushions stack under the rear window, with the sleeping bag sacks. And thin filler cushions stack behind our pillows at the foot of the beds. You can see the fillers peeking out from behind the pillows.
Trgai is offline   Reply With Quote