Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Towel bar in shower fell off

My new 2011 International 23D took it's first official journey 2 weeks ago. Upon returning we had a few minor items that broke including the fresh water petcock (used wine cork to plug), kitchen faucet leaked, drawer lock broke, Formica split on seam in one drawer, and the shower towel bar came off the shower wall. Minor issues for the most part. Fixed or ordered replacement parts from dealer. I plan on doing all warranty repairs for the simple fact that I can get them done sooner that taking it back to dealer 60 miles away and leaving it until they can get to it. My question here for the forum is since the towel bar was attached to the fiberglass shower and the screw broke out of it is there a preferred way to reinstall it? I've not worked with fiberglass in the past so wondering if I should install expansion screws of something like that. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Bigcgar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3078337043.png
Views:	220
Size:	760.7 KB
ID:	131319  
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Try This...

I used this on a screw that had pulled out of a small storage compartment door on our boat, it's used to repair the gel coat, strongest stuff I ever used.

I now carry it in the AS tool kit, It'll hold anything. Force some in the screw hole, replace with a slightly larger screw.

Marine-Tex Epoxy
Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Bob: Thanks for the recommendation on the Marine Tex. Sounds like it should work.

Bigcgar
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Why, is what I would ask? Could there be a whole lotta shak'n going on in there?
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
My Sister has a new 2011 They left Virginia a few weeks ago for Texas. They have stopped twice for Airstream repairs. Had some popped rivets on the interior, The bathroom mirror came off, Closet hinge came apart and they had a drawer come out. The unit had missing caulk at double windows. They also had the tow electrical cable damaged by the propane cover.

I was not impressed by the workmanship. You could see where they had overlapped rivets and then put a rivet close by causing a noticeable bulge on the back splash area. There is bad discoloration in the clear coat on the tail lights and bumper. They are turning yellow. I took photos but have to find a way to reduce them from 4 meg.

I am concerned that they have a out of balance running gear.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
The best way to stop shake'n...http://www.centramatic.com/Home.aspx
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The best way to stop shake'n...Centramatic
Hmmmm, I got those too. I put them on when I got new axles. So why do I still find stuff on the floor.......hmmmm?
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Hmmmm, I got those too. I put them on when I got new axles. So why do I still find stuff on the floor.......hmmmm?
Neil

LOL Must b e your driving..

The rig I have now things stay put, I can leave DVD and my change catcher or the credenza and it stays put along with lamp usually stays on night stand but the '79 I had I had to really put things away.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Neil
Hi, maybe you're driving that big powerful Buick too fast. Or maybe it is because we have these really wonderful, smooth streets in California.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
afton , Virginia
I don't care what roads you take or where you go, if you spend big $$ for a quality rig....you should NOT have to interrupt your trip, be stressed, wait for an appointment to get the small or large things fixed.....or live with and adapt until you get help. I am getting more and more fed up. I cannot believe what we have been going through as well as others with NEW rigs....ESPECIALLY after paying for what we expect to be quality, and having to spend hours and hours getting a straight answer, or the problem solved. Everything seems to be a mystery and a problem. We just took a trip in our 2004 bambi...new to us...we had problems everyday....we came home with buyers remorse and disgusted. WHAT IS UP??????
cutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Or maybe it is because we have these really wonderful, smooth streets in California.
YEP!
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterbug View Post
I don't care what roads you take or where you go, if you spend big $$ for a quality rig....you should NOT have to interrupt your trip, be stressed, wait for an appointment to get the small or large things fixed.....or live with and adapt until you get help. I am getting more and more fed up. I cannot believe what we have been going through as well as others with NEW rigs....ESPECIALLY after paying for what we expect to be quality, and having to spend hours and hours getting a straight answer, or the problem solved. Everything seems to be a mystery and a problem. We just took a trip in our 2004 bambi...new to us...we had problems everyday....we came home with buyers remorse and disgusted. WHAT IS UP??????

Ours was new...first trip, pull out pantry pulled out on the floor, water pump quit...wired rong...

QC, not so good....JC 25 acres of denial, don't know how much better it is today.

TIME DEVOURS ALL.......