Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2023, 10:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Wichita , KS
Strange Odor - small amount of moisture

We have a 2019 27’ Flying Cloud purchased used in summer of 2022. We used it a lot that summer and all this summer, but at some point we started noticing an odor. Very slowly it has been getting worse, but never bad enough to keep us out. It’s hard to describe - not moldy, not dead animal, not sweet, not propane; just unpleasant.

When the windows are open or furnace/air is running it clears out. Soon as it’s closed up for any period of time it comes back.

We have now cleaned everything out and winterized and it’s stored for winter. So it’s not food, or bedding/cloth/etc. It does not smell in the drains or fridge or the toilet. Never has.

Here is the only thing I can think of that is “different” from this summer over last: I had a large contain of Lavender and Vanilla scented DampRid on the bathroom floor between trips. One day I noticed it was full and while picking it up I dropped it on the floor between the toilet and the cabinet. The slimy liquid immediately pooled in the forward and curbside corner of the floor but there is a cutout for the water supply line and a lot went in there. I cleaned it out best I could with one thin sheet of paper towel sliding it under the cabinet and into the cutout. Cleaned it all up and thought nothing of it.

I do feel like the smell is coming from the foot of the curb-side twin bed which is, of course, along the wall where the liquid spilled. It does not smell stronger in the bathroom, however. So just now (months after the spill) I took a cardboard folder and shoved it under there to see if there were any crystals or slime leftover. The cardboard came out slightly wet, and actually kind of milk chocolate brown. But it didn’t smell.

So short story long: could the spilled DampRid be the issue, could it damage anything, is there a way to get under that bottom shelf to look in there, and any other ideas about this smell are appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 12-09-2023, 11:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Do they have an 800 number ? Maybe check with them ?
Old 12-09-2023, 11:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Wichita , KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
Do they have an 800 number ? Maybe check with them ?
They do, but closed on weekends of course. I’ve searched all over the internet and can’t find anything about it potentially causing a smell. The hope was that because the product is probably used by many Airstream owners that someone else had a similar experience.

Of course, it’s not been determined that the DampRid spill caused the odor either, so any other suggestions from everyone are very welcome!
Old 12-12-2023, 06:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Wichita , KS
Hoping for a little more traction here.

Does anyone have any other ideas on potential cause of the smell? It’s becoming quite bothersome. It kind of “sticks” to you, meaning I can smell it on my clothes and anything else that has been inside for a while.

Thank you!
Old 12-12-2023, 07:06 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Maybe "spill" a little lysol liquid in the same location? Then run a dehumidifier for a couple days?
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:05 PM   #6
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
You might want to ck your in-line vents for leaking gases.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Wichita , KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ware View Post
You might want to ck your in-line vents for leaking gases.
Are you referring to vents for the grey and black tanks? Would that still cause a problem when everything has been cleaned and put up for the winter? I would ask where the vents are but I assume this is in the owner’s manual?

Thank you.
Sjugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 06:37 PM   #8
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
AS uses a vent for the sinks that is a sort of one way valve or vacuum breaker that allows air to enter the grey line but shouldn't allow sewer gasses to escape into the trailer. The flapper inside could be malfunctioning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39012-5.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	439538  
Old 12-13-2023, 07:14 PM   #9
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
They are near the p-traps.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
While tearing out the interior I discovered one through-roof vent PVC pipe had sagged, slipped from clamped position then skewed aside... so for many years the previous owners had in-the-wall pooky aura -- NOT suggesting a new unit could suffer such a craptastrophe, just reminding Murphy's Law Impossibles "happen"...
Old 12-14-2023, 07:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
While tearing out the interior I discovered one through-roof vent PVC pipe had sagged, slipped from clamped position then skewed aside... so for many years the previous owners had in-the-wall pooky aura -- NOT suggesting a new unit could suffer such a craptastrophe, just reminding Murphy's Law Impossibles "happen"...
Actually someone posted that when he took the surround trim piece that was covering the through the roof black tank vent pipe he found out the pipe was never installed. Just the opening in the tank, inside the trim to the roof was wide open.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 08:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Wichita , KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Actually someone posted that when he took the surround trim piece that was covering the through the roof black tank vent pipe he found out the pipe was never installed. Just the opening in the tank, inside the trim to the roof was wide open.
Wow, these are both great ideas. Of course it’s pouring rain today, but hopefully this weekend we can check all of these out.

You may be on to something with the vents and traps because I’m pretty sure the previous owners only used full hookups and only took around 10 trips. We found this out because the hose from the fresh water inlet was not hooked up and the first time we went dry camping water came inside under the wardrobe instead of filling the tank. Thankfully we caught it quickly. If there were issues with traps/vents it makes sense that they would come to light now, because we rarely use full hookups.