Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Stealth safety equipment?

Our RV service tech was appalled that I only had a CO detector in the trailer, and highly recommended that I get a smoke detector and an LP detector, since all my appliances ar LP only. Can't really argue with that. The only thing is I hate to have my little vintage trailer full of ugly white detectors with blinking green lights.

So I figure the CO detector (which currently sits in the magazine rack) and the smoke detector can be mounted on the ceiling near the light in front of the door. They will be battery operated so I don't have to pull a 12v wire for them.

But the LP detector needs to be at the floor, and the RV tech suggested cutting a hole in one of the cabinets to flush mount it. I hate to do that to my old trailer! Has anyone got a cool idea for mounting one so you have the safety without the ugly detector just sitting there in plain sight? Or should I just bite the bullet and get used to it? What have you other vintage owners done?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Kinda hard to see those blinking lights from the funeral home.

But maybe you can put in the hallway, out of view from visitors and other potential critics.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Stephanie,

the reason that they say to put the LP detector near the floor is because LP is heavier than air. If I am remembering right your furnace is under the kitchen counter, right? If so you could mount it inside the cabinet, but where the return air from the furnace flows. This would place it out of sight but allow the air in the trailer to come in contact with the detector element. It would also get it closer to a 12 volt feed.

Just for the record I have only a smoke detector. But am looking to replace it with 2 in 1 smoke co detector. The LP detectors are a bit pricey, but all it takes is one boom to make it seem cheap.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I understand the safety issue, Smily, I'm just looking to make it as un-noticable as possible. Believe me, there's not much 'hallway' in a 17 ft trailer

I don't mind the expense, just the looks. Actually inside the cabinet might work pretty good because the water heater, furnace, and stove plumbing are all right together there. If there's going to be an LP leak, it would be there, unless it was coming out of the fridge or stovetop. Then I guess it would be better facing out into the open part of the trailer.

I think a smoke alarm is the least necessary safety equipment in my trailer, because it's so small - if anything's on fire, it's probably you! (I'm just kidding, I'm putting one in!)

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
That sounds like a good spot for the dectector. In my day job I maintain Propane detectors at our Radio sites "Propane powered EG's". The biggest problem with them is dirt/dust in the detector element. Try and pick a spot that is clean and dust won't be a factor.
What I also find funny about consumer level detectors is there are no calibration/test requirements. We have to calibrate our systems every 3 years. You can purchase cylinders of "cal gas" for testing and calibration if you should every question if your system works or not. Heck might not be a bad idea to test the systems every 5 years or so to see if it even works.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
steph

i got one that is 120 volt, has about a 3 foot cord on it. you could just plug it in and place it on the floor when sleeping.

not much good for boondocking but better than nothing!

john
Old 04-18-2004, 03:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Leak at the fridge I would think would drain out the lower air in hole. I keep the stove lpg turned off under the top unless cooking. I don't trust the burner controlls or me to not bump against them in the middle of the night. It is tight with the bed out.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I understand the safety issue, Smily, I'm just looking to make it as un-noticable as possible. Believe me, there's not much 'hallway' in a 17 ft trailer

I don't mind the expense, just the looks. Actually inside the cabinet might work pretty good because the water heater, furnace, and stove plumbing are all right together there. If there's going to be an LP leak, it would be there, unless it was coming out of the fridge or stovetop. Then I guess it would be better facing out into the open part of the trailer.

I think a smoke alarm is the least necessary safety equipment in my trailer, because it's so small - if anything's on fire, it's probably you! (I'm just kidding, I'm putting one in!)
Stephanie, the CO detector needs to be mounted about mid-height, as CO is lighter than propane. Do you have a closet that you can mount it in? Preferably one that has ventilation, so it can sense the CO. Smoke is usually hot, heat rises, so the smoke alarm should be in the top part of the trailer, but be forewarned it will scream bloody murder when you cook. Ask how I know...
Terry
Old 04-18-2004, 06:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
While we are on the subject of smoke, CO and LP detectors, are the combo smoke and CO detectors that are available at HD and Lowes sufficient to use in the trailer? I have heard that they are not RVIA rated, and that the constant movement of the trailer has a negative effect on them.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote