Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
For the last couple of weeks, I've been pushing on getting this trailer put back together so we can take her out the second week in June. The interior painting is largely complete and I put down 1/8th inch ply on the floor as the underlayment for the vinyl planks. Still a lot of work to do, including trimming out the new floor with some base moldings as well as some moldings between the bulkhead walls and the inner skins.

Painting the dark 70's woodgrain:

Underlayment down:

Test layout for the planks for best fit:

Snapped a chalk line then laid down the first two rows to establish the layout:

Coming together.

All cut and laid down. Still have some glue to put down on the perimeter:

I'll pick up the moldings this weekend and try and get that done. Lots of little items left to put it all back together. Thanks for looking.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Looking sharp! I like the wood color you chose for the planks.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 06-10-2015, 05:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Thanks Matt. I have been working it every night since we are supposed to be using it this weekend, but havent had time to take more pix. Plus its still really messy inside and I wanted the final round to look better. All the trim work is done and what is left can probably wait till it comes back from the campground. I just have to hang the curtains back up, bring in the two recliners and then hook up propane and make sure all the gas appliances still work.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 08-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Looking back I realize that I never really showed the final results of the work in this thread. The loose lay floors went down and were trimmed out. I also trimmed out the bulkhead wall by the fridge and put a couple of new Lambright recliners in. So here are a few pics to show where it has all ended up this year. Most likely I'll go ahead and work on the upper cabinets this coming winter which should be the last of the interior renovations we do.

New recliners, new LED spot lights on either side:

I pulled down both the valences and removed the aluminum strip that had the vinyl that matched the walls and low and behold, a nice clean aluminum surface underneath. I fabricated some new end caps out of mahogany and remounted them with some upgraded LED strip lights to wash the ceiling with light.

The interior woodgrain was painted with an oil base paint, the walls and ceiling done in an off white and the bed cabinet base in a blue.

Upgraded the lighting on both sides forward and aft above the cabinets. I used some aluminum strips that I mounted LED strips to and those are mounted on the top edge of the cabinets to wash the ceilings with indirect light.

I modified the front and rear vents with some automotive radiator fans with electronic speed controls. The original intent was to construct new diffusers with new led lights, but good intent tends to get overtaken by lack of time and energy. So here are a few photos of that work:

The other threads that covered parts of the work are here if anybody is interested:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...an-134139.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...ge-134252.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ns-130964.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...on-128727.html

Thanks for looking.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #25

1975 24' Argosy 24
PLYMOUTH , North Carolina
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
JOEHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #26
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Hi Bob! Reviewing your thread as I need to tackle the wing windows on our 72. The interior between the glass panels looks like it has dried brown sugar all around the edges. To clarify from your photos, it looks like once you get them out the two panes seat into individual channels, correct? I've been so worried about having to pry these panes of glass apart.

It sounds like you used tempro to seal the glass panes back into their slots, is that correct? Or was that to seal the window back onto the outer skin when you reinserted it?

Thanks so much for your post!
O Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Shiny View Post
Hi Bob! Reviewing your thread as I need to tackle the wing windows on our 72. The interior between the glass panels looks like it has dried brown sugar all around the edges. To clarify from your photos, it looks like once you get them out the two panes seat into individual channels, correct? I've been so worried about having to pry these panes of glass apart.

Yes, both glass panes sit in there own individual channels. To get the whole assembly apart, you have to get the screws out of the side that holds it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Shiny View Post
It sounds like you used tempro to seal the glass panes back into their slots, is that correct? Or was that to seal the window back onto the outer skin when you reinserted it?

Both. I used it to seal in the glass into the channel and then used the tempro to hold and seal the frame onto the aluminum of the body. It works well for either use, and stays flexible enough to cushion the glass in the frame.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 10-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #28
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Bob, what did you use for paint on the interior skins? How has it held up?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote