Old 12-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #241
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
What I no is years ago some foam was made out of soap suds that in several yrs turned to dust. My bro. in law had franchise for it and I used some as test [not his some other installer] it was ballyhued as the greatest insulation ever but huge failure for all concerned. The spray such as great stuff or others like it don't deteriate over time and where I used no pockets or any from damage or water getting thru.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #242
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
One thing that comes to my mind, fiberglass will not burn, pretty much no matter what.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #243
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
St. Catharines , Ontario
Spray Foam Insulation

Here’s what mine looks like after 29 years....as good as when it was put in in 1988!Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1513096276.420264.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	300803
ktmkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #244
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
One thing that comes to my mind, fiberglass will not burn, pretty much no matter what.
True but when wet in enclosed area will not dry causing rot or damage on many materials.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #245
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
True but when wet in enclosed area will not dry causing rot or damage on many materials.

Pretty much the only parts that will rot in an aluminum trailer are at floor level and down. The fiberglass in my 72 was was essentially perfect when I tore it out four years ago. I put some patches in my floor, but I think this rot would have happened whether it had been insulated with foam or fiberglass. Just my opinion though.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #246
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Easton , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
Thanks, @Night_Sailor -- this helps. Could you determine size of delamination around a failed rivet? Like is it a little quarter-sized pocket where water could pool? I feel like foaming the trailer will be a big weight off my mind, as it will sit unattended for long periods of time. Knowing the water is locked out (or highly restricted to little pockets, away from the frame/floor) is a big plus.

I used Dow's Froth-Pak in a home renovation and really liked it. Easy, fast and it has totally changed the room. So I have high expectations for AS use. Their 600 bd ft kit should be enough to have a huge impact, even if it doesn't cover everything.

Thanks,
e
There was a larger area where dozens of rivet were damaged and a whole piece of sheet aluminum was peeled away. My original point was that if the area is undamaged it was fine, but external damage caused by impact can cause the foam to de-laminate. In my case, the foam came off mostly intact and held up a bit better than the aluminum it was attached to.

I have never had a single rivet fail, and if it did, I would not expect there to be any problems with the closed cell foam underneath. Perhaps you would penetrate it if you installed a new rivet.

Overall I was resoundingly impressed with closed cell foam. I plan to restore this camper at some point. I intent to cover the roof with U-Pol (Line-X type polyuerathane) sealer and will fill every cavity of the inside with closed cell foam. Given that it will still have heat loses due to conduction, I will put a thermal break on the interior. If I don't finish it off, I'll make it into a dog house for my dogs. They like all the windows.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmkirby View Post
Here’s what mine looks like after 29 years....as good as when it was put in in 1988!Attachment 300803
That's incredible! Nice job!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote