Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #1

1976 Argosy 28
Phoenix , Arizona
Solar battery bank placement

I'm getting ready to install a solar power system in the 1976 Argosy 28' I'm renovating. I was planning on placing the battery bank (300-400 lbs of batteries) at the very back end of the trailer under the bed until I read something that suggested that might not be a very good idea. Is this because the frame was not designed to support that kind of weight back there or because it would adversely effect the balance of the trailer? Or both? Or neither? If placing the batteries in the back of the trailer poses problems, are there any ways to overcome any of them, perhaps by strengthening the frame, for instance? Would I be better off relocating the battery bank to someplace else in the trailer? If so, where? My Argosy has a middle bath, so there isn't much available space over the axles. The next most likely place is up front beneath the sofa, but there they'd share the space with 30 gallons of drinking water. Ultimately, though, as the trailer is currently stripped to the bones, the batteries could end up just about anywhere with a little planning. Any help would be great!
bicen.falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are many here much more knowledgable than I, but you are on the right track. The rear frame is not designed for that much weight, it reduces tongue weight which can induce sway, and unless you go AGM or Lithium you need to vent the gasses. Depending on how many AHs you plan to install, going large needs considerable space if not using lithium batteries. It may be easier to increase solar panel capacity for faster recharging on a more frequent basis.

Check out:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1676274

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ml#post1565768
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We put a 300 amp-hour 84 pound lithium iron pkosphate battery just in front of the street side wheel well under the sofa of the 23D. It actually weighs less than the two factory installed lead acid batteries. I have about 250 useable amp-hours from this battery.

There are five 100 watt solar panels on the roof that could charge at around a 375 watts charge rate on a bright day into the BlueSky 3025iL charge controller. The Magnum MSH 3012 converter inverter is on the other side of the furnace and under the dinette seat on the same side. No external modifications were necessary to the Airstream cabinetry.

We put a 600 amp-hour lithium iron phosphate battery at 168 pounds under the front sofa on our Classic along side a Magnum MS 3012 charger inverter. We have eight 100 watt panels on the roof that have generated a 575 watt charge rate on a good day.

The common location choice was to get the battery weight closer to the trailer wheels and away from the tongue.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote