Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Smoke detector placement question

Replacing the batteries in my home detectors and remembered the smoke/CO detector in the AS. Unfortunately it is still in the box. Trying to decide where to install it. I do cook and sometimes "blacken" some foods. Thought about over the kitchen area, but have read this is not a good area. Thought about placing it behind the door separating the kitchen from the bedroom. Know I will mount it in the ceiling, but have a concern about the forward vent of the AC/heat strip. Will this effect how well the detector works? Is there another place better to consider placement? Don't forget to change all your detectors' battery! Thanks. Jack
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You will want to place it out of the air flow of the a/c vents, and away from the kitchen area. The air flow from the a/c will affect how well it works. While in heat mode, you could get false alarms, but more importantly, the moving air will make it take longer to actually sound a real alarm. In the bedroom would be a good location.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Just take it down

To prevent nuisance alarms from happening during the cooking process, I installed a smoke alarm that is easily removed from it's mounting base. I have had good luck with this simply by laying the smoke alarm on the counter or table while cooking. That way when I go to clean up, there is the smoke alarm that needs to be put back where it belongs.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
We installed ours in the sleeping area. We figured the alarms most important job was to wake us in the event of a fire. If you have a CO or propane detector, it wold be better to place this near the gas appliances.
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Airstream installed mine in the bedroom. The partition blocks the direct airflow from the AC/heat pump.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Good post and topic.

I plan to install our smoke detector near or in the sleeping area.

I hadn't thought about a propane detector but will definitely plan for one, which I now understand is required in all new RV's. Since propane is heavier than air, it only makes sense to install it near the floor and the range. Aside from a leaking line, I believe the possibility of a partially open burner that is unlighted poses the most risk.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You'll find that RV propane detectors are all wired in. There are no battery units that I have ever been able to find. Just letting you know so that you can plan the placement accordingly since you'll need to run a wire to it (12 VDC & ground/neutral).
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The smoke detector in our TT was mounted on the partition between the bathroom and in the sleeping area (in the sleeping area, over the door).

But, even making toast would make the dang thing go off, and the toaster is more than half the trailer length away!. It got to the point where I took the battery out.

I'm thinking that it may just be that it's too old, and hopefully newer ones won't react like this.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Over the door to the bathroom (rear bath) in the sleep area. It sometimes goes off when cooking but I found a detector that will 'shut up' for a while with a push of the button.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
I hadn't thought about a propane detector but will definitely plan for one, which I now understand is required in all new RV's. Since propane is heavier than air, it only makes sense to install it near the floor and the range. Aside from a leaking line, I believe the possibility of a partially open burner that is unlighted poses the most risk.
I removed mine.

They use a considerable amount of power, several Ah per day, which is problematic during storage and while boondocking. They are prone to false alarms and have a short useful life (5 years).

And I am not convinced that they save lives.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
You don't want to install it in the galley, especially over the table where the toaster is placed.
A/S did a good job locating the propane detector under reefer not to far from stove, co detector by the rear tv.
Do they make a detector that can be turned off by switch? Would be easier than removing to make toast. I guess I can add a switch but it would have to be obviously off, like TG Twinkie has failsafe method, similar to mine for antenna up, ignition key hanging on crank handle.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I removed mine.

They use a considerable amount of power, several Ah per day, which is problematic during storage and while boondocking. They are prone to false alarms and have a short useful life (5 years).

And I am not convinced that they save lives.
I guess since I have to wire mine in, I can install a toggle switch so it can be turned off during storage or any other time that I am concerned about power useage. The tanks are turned off during storage anyway.

I don't see smoke or propane alarms as life saving devices. I see them more as injury and damage protection. A couple weeks ago I looked at a burned out '68 Safari that was the result of a kitchen fire. I don't ever want to see the inside of my AS look like that.