Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Question Shower screen replacement or (fiberglass?) repair

I have made my way through our 66 Ambassador front to back, repairing along the way.... I am now in the dreaded bathroom.... The toilet had been removed and replaced with a regular free standing toilet by the previous owners, but this left a jagged hole cut in the fiberglass surround all the way around the toilet. I have fiberglassed and bondoed the area and now am sanding it smooth. We have also purchased the epoxy paint to repaint when i am finished.Please tell me I am doing this right... The last repair is the dreaded shower "screen". I would love to repair this one or rebuild it to its former glory but i am fresh out of ideas on where to start... it is a rigid foam board wrapped in matting and then sealed in the plastic top layer, but is crumbling.... I have all the brackets and measurements I just don't know what materials would work best to rebuild. I would rather purchase a new one but I don't even know what it is called to try to find a replacement. Do they still make these? Has anyone attempted a rebuild? Is there any other options for this curved style shower/tub? HELP!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	152240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	152241  

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	152242  
missyloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Our '66 Safari has a shower curtain

That "screen" looks like something a previous owner fabricated IMHO. Our trailer has a shower curtain that runs in a curved track across the ceiling over the edge of the tub and down the back wall to a snap behind the sink.

Check yours to see if the track for the shower curtain is still there. You could make a shower curtain, although it is a strange shape for one.

Sorry I can't get pics, but our trailer is in storage over 50 miles from the house.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It looks like the one that came in my Trade Wind. It's original, all right.

I was fortunate enough to locate one in good shape from a friend who was remodeling. I don't know where you would look for a new one.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
That "screen" looks like something a previous owner fabricated IMHO. Our trailer has a shower curtain that runs in a curved track across the ceiling over the edge of the tub and down the back wall to a snap behind the sink.

Check yours to see if the track for the shower curtain is still there. You could make a shower curtain, although it is a strange shape for one.

Sorry I can't get pics, but our trailer is in storage over 50 miles from the house.
no tracks for shower curtain at all... this screen was attached (riveted) to the wall opposite the faucets.... there is a large hook on the wall over the faucets that catches the handle on the screen... the screen is upside down in the picture..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 022.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	152253  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Shower "screen" replacement or repair/fiberglass repair

Greetings missyloopy!

The accordion shower door is definitely factory original. My '64 Overlander Land Yacht Internation was delivered from the factory with one and it was still there when I purchased it in 1995. When Fowler RV Interiors refurbished the interior in 2003, we converted over to a shower curtain -- the accordion door made the shower far less claustraphobic, but the curtain is easier to manage.

My theory is that it wouldn't be too difficult to construct one utilizing 1/4" PVC pipe sewn into vertical pockets in a double-sided heavy vinyl sleeve -- the pockets would be separated by pockets for very dense sturdy foam and the top and bottom of each of these pockets would have 1/4" PVC pipe sewn into closed-end pockets to help the pockets retain their shape. The completed accordion would be attached to the opening as the original and would operate in the same manner as the original. I keep thinking about asking a seamstress I know to recreate the accordion door for me.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
It's original...

The accordion folded vinyl screen is definately original to your trailer. From your photo I can't tell if it was pale yellow or beige originally. My interior is Aqua so the surround is that color but once we get to that point we are looking at a different vinyl covering on ours as it has started to deteriorate. As Kevin stated a heavy water-proof vinyl and a good upholstery shop can make one for you and use the old one as a template. All the supplies to make one are still available with the possible exception of the stainless steel hardware so if you (modernize) upgrade to a curved shower rod and curtain it would be wise to keep all the old hardware and perhaps offer it to those who are doing an original restore to their bath area. I like the old folded screen and will keep it until I find out how it really works when I take my first shower in the trailer. I have a lot of "spare" parts stored in my garage that I have picked up over the last 8 years and my have a extra screen in there somewhere. Possibly yellow beige or aqua colored. I will check and post it here and in classifieds if I have extras. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
If you do happen to have an extra please let me know... I am really hoping to keep this trailer as original as possible. Our current accordian shower screen is beige with gold stripes. The stripes are so thin that I didn't notice them until i removed it yesterday to try to repair it.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyloopy View Post
If you do happen to have an extra please let me know... I am really hoping to keep this trailer as original as possible. Our current accordian shower screen is beige with gold stripes. The stripes are so thin that I didn't notice them until i removed it yesterday to try to repair it.
I will look for it when I get into the garage but if yours is as in the photo it should be no problem to have a new one made out of similar materials that will be better than using a 40+ year old used one. At least you have a good pattern lots of owners never saw the original shower screen as it was long gone when they purchased their trailers. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote