Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
On the road , Everywhere
Show off your interior in a national magazine!

My name is Karen Catchpole. I’m a freelance journalist who contributes regularly to travel and lifestyle magazines including Travel & Leisure, National Geographic Traveler, Elle, Allure, Every Day with Rachel Ray and others—you can see my work at: Published Work :: Trans-Americas Journey | Index of magazine and web site stories and reviews by writer Karen Catchpole and photographer Eric Mohl.
For the past few months I’ve been traveling full-time with a Safari SE in tow and I’ve fallen in love with Airstreams and with the Airstream community (I do a blog about it at: Trans-Americas Airstream Road Trip.
Therefore, I’m very excited about my latest assignment which is a piece about the wonderful, whimsical, wacky and way out ways Airstream owners have customized the interior design and décor of their travel trailers for Country Living magazine.
I’m not looking for simple upgrades. What I need are examples of Airstreams whose interiors have been substantially and creatively changed. So, if you’ve re-done the interior décor and/or re-built or re-designed aspects of your trailer’s interior I want to see pictures, including a picture of you! I also need answers to the following basic questions. Please reply to me with images and answers by clicking on TransAmerica in the upper left hand corner and choosing the private message function.
  • Your name, age, occupation and geographic location:
  • What year/make/model is your Airstream?
  • How, when and why did you get the Airstream?
  • How much time and money have you spent customizing the interior?
  • When was the work completed?
  • Why did you make the décor or design changes that you’ve made?
  • What other Airstreams do you own/have you re-done?
  • What was the inspiration for the interior décor you’ve adopted? For example, if it’s a themed décor, why did you choose that particular theme? If there’s a color them, why did you choose that color?
  • What do you mostly use your Airstream for? For example, is it permanently parked and used as a residence? Is it still towable and used for travel?
The owners of trailers that are ultimately chosen for my story will be interviewed and photographed for the final feature.
Many thanks,
Karen
TransAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
WOW..I'm impressed by the quality and, quantity of your "Travelogue blog". The photos journalism materials alone is worth the read and, is extremely nice~!
Good Luck to the both of you~!!
53FC
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
What an exciting project!

I visited your blog and was delighted with photos and stories.
Thank you for posting to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmerica View Post
My name is Karen Catchpole. I’m a freelance journalist who contributes regularly to travel and lifestyle magazines including Travel & Leisure, National Geographic Traveler, Elle, Allure, Every Day with Rachel Ray and others—you can see my work at: Published Work :: Trans-Americas Journey | Index of magazine and web site stories and reviews by writer Karen Catchpole and photographer Eric Mohl.
For the past few months I’ve been traveling full-time with a Safari SE in tow and I’ve fallen in love with Airstreams and with the Airstream community (I do a blog about it at: Trans-Americas Airstream Road Trip.
Therefore, I’m very excited about my latest assignment which is a piece about the wonderful, whimsical, wacky and way out ways Airstream owners have customized the interior design and décor of their travel trailers for Country Living magazine.
I’m not looking for simple upgrades. What I need are examples of Airstreams whose interiors have been substantially and creatively changed. So, if you’ve re-done the interior décor and/or re-built or re-designed aspects of your trailer’s interior I want to see pictures, including a picture of you! I also need answers to the following basic questions. Please reply to me with images and answers by clicking on TransAmerica in the upper left hand corner and choosing the private message function.
  • What was the inspiration for the interior décor you’ve adopted? For example, if it’s a themed décor, why did you choose that particular theme? If there’s a color them, why did you choose that color?
  • What do you mostly use your Airstream for? For example, is it permanently parked and used as a residence? Is it still towable and used for travel?
The owners of trailers that are ultimately chosen for my story will be interviewed and photographed for the final feature.
Many thanks,
Karen
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Me too! The places you have been and the photography is amazing. I'm getting wanderlust just looking, can't wait to show my husband your travels. Thanks!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Trans-Americas Journey

Karen
Thanks for the travel photos and stories. We have been to many of the same places with our 1962 Airstream Safari. OK.... your photos are better.

Now for some shameless self promotion. I PM'ed info on our trailer that won the "Best of Show" this summer at the Vintage Trailer JAM. Mostly I think mostly for the interior work we did as part of restoring it. Have to figure out the best way to get some photos to you.
Thanks again
Gary
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Great work, Karen! Sent you a PM.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Some of my favorite places

Oh, the Alabama Hills..........never thought about boondocking there....what a great idea.......one of my favorite places.
Thanks for sharing your website and the wonderful photos and commentary......paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Karen and Eric...

Great blog and photos...Make us want to hit the road ASAP...like this afternoon!

And a fun project, too...we sent a PM...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Thanks i enjoyed your link to your adventures. Thank you both for sharing. Timeless trailers have done some interesting things to trailers and for design David Winnick has redone some gorgeous old gals.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #10

1974 27' Overlander
youngstown , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to tinlizzie69
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmerica View Post
Many thanks,
Karen
we would love to be a part of your new study..We have purchased a 1974 overlander and have revamped it we love it and would love to share it with others....
tinlizzie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Just "wow" on your blog.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi,

I know your looking for pictures of interiors but we're still stuck on the quality of your blog!

Thanks for sharing...

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Make Sure Y'all...

Take a peek over here; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...les-59776.html

'Too Cool'!
Hey, I'm not brand new but I'm new here and have fallen hopelessly in Love!

Love,
Terry
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for sharing! I believe you're the lady who left a business card on our windshield in a WalMart one day. We emailed with you a couple of times, but we don't blog, MySpace, YouTube, Twitter, etc.

We are not highly creative and unique, but have done some customizing and are teeny-tiny, highly organized and very functional. Will send you some photos, anyway. (After we are dug out of the snow and heading south in a week or so.)
Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Stayed true to Vintage

Complete restoration, stay'd 98% original.

You should come to the 1st annual Wally Byam Birthday Bash to get photos and interviews first hand!

Here are a few shots of our 1958 30' Sovereign of the Road trailer. Bought in 1995. Our lifelong trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	93589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	93590  

Name:	TheMagicChef.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	93591   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOW3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	93592  

Name:	Dsc_0842.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	93593   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2129.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	93594  

Attached Images

https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
I wonder if this "latest assignment" is still legit. TransAmerica hasn't had activity on airforums since June of '09 and looks like they forgot about Airstreams once they had to return theirs back after a sponsorship loan. But their aistream.com hosted blog is pretty cool, and looks like they are still traveling w/o an Airstream in Mexico right now...

TransAmerica- if you're out there- any updates on this assignment?
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Yeah

Yeah, I did not pay attention to the 2008 post dates of earlier.... oh well...
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Yeah, I did not pay attention to the 2008 post dates of earlier.... oh well...

I really enjoyed those pictures anyway, Rob.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote