Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
helotes , Texas
Short queen replacement

Hi folks, I'm trying to find out if a standard short queen will fit in my 06 25 foot front bed AS. The mattress looks the same as any short queen except for one edge. I'm thinking about replacing the original mattress with a ComfortAir / DreamAir mattress. I believe the queen mattress in my 25 is the same for all 25 front bed queens up to the present model year. If anyone has had mattress replace experience with one of these I'd love to hear for you. Happy streaming.....
aldamiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We are just in the process of thinking of the same thing. Never heard of Comfort Air though. How does it compare to the Sleep #. Never tried that one either but only know them from the advertising. Camping world carries the Sleep # for our RV's and their pricing is in their flyers but how do they compare.

At this point just curious and looking at some options.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have a Sleep Number RV Queen radius (radius is at the foot sides of the bed) in ours, slept on it a couple hundred nights and it is the best matters we have ever had. Each side is independently adjustable with the furnished remote control (which lights up for adjustment).

The front bed and rear bed 25's have the same platform, one corner at the head has a little radius but the Sleep Number RV Queen Radius still fits the platform perfectly. We are traveling right now and look forward to this bed each night.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
helotes , Texas
ComfortAire / DreamAire are one in the same and made by Select Comfort. According to the Select Comfort salesman Select Comfort was the original and Sleep Number was a spin off that became more popular due to advertising better. He also said that Select Comfort was less expensive. On that point at least he was correct. I've checked both out and they seem very similar to me. Camping World has the ComfortAire / DreamAire short queen radius or regular queen on sale for $799.97.
aldamiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
ThankX for the information. I suppose there is a compressor of some sort to inflate the air cells. It it placed remotely or somehow incorporated into the mattress ??? If remote, where do you put it ???

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Sleep Number has a compressor that can go under or alongside the bed, or a few feet away. Two hoses connect to mattress bottom near the head to adjust each side independently. It's quiet, once adjusted it holds the air. We don't readjust it often. Operates on 120v AC.

I have heard you could let some pressure out at higher altitudes for comfort. Cheryl says she can tell on her side, I haven't noticed the difference 1200' to 7000' on this trip.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Does the comfort air come in a short queen with radius corners?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I too have the Select Comfort short queen with radius corner from Camping World. Love it!
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We upgraded without doing much research.....well, we wanted it now! The short queen frame on the 23 is likely the same as the 25. Difference being more space at the foot for access. In any case, at 6'4" the short queen was not on my hit parade. A section of 1/4" plywood attached to the original plywood lid extends the foot of the frame and a 1x2 reinforcing rib makes a nice fiddle to hold the mattress in place.

We ordered a bed in a box memory foam mattress that was delivered to our door. It's a full size with no modification for the curve at the head of the frame. So we have a full size queen with a bit of a gap at the head. It can be filled to make the mattress longer, but we went to Camping world and purchased a couple of their pillow wedges. We get a raised head sleeping mode and the gap covered. All easy to do with a minimum of fuss.

The memory foam has too short a memory, but it's a big improvement over the OEM mattress. We flip it end for end about every other week and that helps a bit. Likely less of an issue for bodies of less mass. More research might well have gotten us a firm coil spring unit. We were concerned that it would be difficult to impossible to get inside the trailer. Experienced folks, please chime in. The air adjustable system sounds more viable than when we first heard about them. Certainly worth a look.

Folks complain about making the bed on most configurations. One help is to use a king size top sheet. The additional material can be tucked under the mattress along the back. That goes a long way toward keep the bedding in place for several days. The process of remaking the bed is much easier and by the time it all comes apart, it's time to change the sheets and start all over again anyway.

What ever you do, an upgrade is worth your investment. Being able to use standard size sheets is a plus, but the objective is really a better night's sleep so you are rested and ready to do it all the next day.

Travel safe and comfortable. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote