Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Charlottesville , Virginia
Shiny Interior Aluminum Walls - how to seal/protect?

After a VERY long process, parts of it bringing back way too much high school geometry, my husband and I have finished installing fresh interior aluminum in our 1978 Tradewind. I made the mistake of showing him a picture of the Tiny Shiny Home renovated interior and he was all in on keeping the shine on ours. Currently he’s finishing up buffing the interior (which, after buffing the entire exterior, I’m shocked he was cheerful about doing it all again !)

All that brings me to my question … we have a literal trailer full of small, dirty, sticky, creatures children. What would you recommend to coat the interior walls with to keep them from being a magnet for grease and dirt, add a little protection, and be able to be wiped down?

We’ve tossed around …
Sharkhide - but I read it accentuates every blemish, and is potentially a bad idea in an enclosed space from the gasses.
Automotive clear coat - same with the trapped gasses, also not sure if we can do that ourselves.
Wax - this sounds the most appealing but i can’t find any real life examples to read if it actually works/doesn’t get sticky/etc.
Some kind of contact paper-esq situation. This feels like an imaginary thing I’ve made up - clear, thin, and actually sticks to aluminum.

Does anyone have any advice, directions to point me in, real life experience with what has worked?

Thank you!

Picture included just for fun. I know I love seeing everyone else’s pictures when they post!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B573F243-1123-4DB6-A5BD-EDE8105C58BC.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	411085  
OffTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Maybe Sharkhyde metal protectant. works great on exterior aluminum.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote