Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2003, 06:36 PM   #1
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Lightbulb Secret places

Airstreams have plenty of storage. Have you found all of your storage places yet?

I didn't know until last week that the "backrest" for the toilet in our Argosy was a secret toilet paper stash!

Can you name other secret places?

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:07 PM   #2
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Well, on my 71 Safari , behind the throne, if you unscrew the top flat panel, you get a huge hidden storage area. I wonder why it was not made usable

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:20 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
safe?

anyone have a safe?

i read in an old manual that 70's excellas had one built in as an option.

john
Old 12-09-2003, 05:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Safes - On AS Motor Homes

Most of the 345's have safes, don't know about the other sizes of Motor Homes.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
What I've discovered~

Can you name other secret places?
Nothing fancy like a floor safe..
Whew, you guys are too hi-class.`lol

In my unit while cleaning in the bathroom one day, I found that the mirror over the sink 'could be made to swing open' (held in place by velcro on the bottom).
From the first glance , it's appearances is deceiving of the hidden space and, the volume of storage behind it.
That about the only one I've come across and, this was a year after I bought the unit....

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Gilbert , confusion
if we tell, then they will no longer be secret...... while cleaning I did find a very old pack of Zig Zag papers behind the stove vent fan (you know the overhead storage).
another project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:40 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
After buying this new coach, I have nothing to put in a safe even if it came with one!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the mirror on my MH swings open also. I kinda wondered what the point of that was. Is it so you can see better in it? It locks back with a plastic/nylon type clip.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Our '74 AS TT had an opening behind the toilet backrest as well. But the opening was very large and had a snap-in laundry bag.

That '74 and our '76 Argosy MH had rear baths with the wide mirror over the sink. The mirror lifts up with loads of storage behind it. And angling the mirror up lets you see yourself no matter how tall you are or how far back you stand.

Our '78 Argosy MH has a small padded cornice over the toilet. It looks like decoration only, but has a nice shelf behind it. The cornice acts to hold items in place (like hair brushes, electric razor, etc.)
Old 12-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We have two...sort of ~

We didn't think we had any secret hiding places until our first trip with Miss Lily. We had left her alone in the locked trailer for a short time and when we came back she was no place to be found! We knew she couldn't have escaped and so set out to find her...lo & behold, in a cabinet in the bathroom there is a 6" hole at the top that is just big enough for a kitty to drop into the cabinet below, behind the medcine cabinet which swings out for storage behind!

Old "Before" picture but it shows the cabinet well...

She had tucked herself in for a little nap! Now we forego keeping our towels there and it's her "Fraidy-Cat" spot, all set-up with her bed for a quick get-away when too many visitors come calling during an Open House. She jumps from the toilet seat cover to the top of the cabinet then drops into the little hole...no problem!

The second place Miss Lily found is inside the tub, under the molded fiberglass bathroom sink. There is a little ledge that she can sneak up into beneath the sink, but behind the sink's skirt...must not be as comfortable though, because she definately prefers the cabinet.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:23 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
I have a safe in my Excella - only problem is it didn't come with the key! I've wondered since I bought it if there might be some treasure in there. If anyone knows how I could get it open, or has a key for theirs they would be willing to copy for me, I'd love to try to see if it fits mine...

Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:27 PM   #12
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Craig,

A guy once had a safe that he couldn't open so he called the local prison and asked if there was anyone in there that could "crack" the safe for him.

The next day the warden and a prisoner appeared and after a short while the prisoner had opened the safe.

The guy was very grateful and asked what he owed for this unusual service.

The prisoner replied, "well, last time I did this I got $25,000!"

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
The wardrobe cabinents on the street side of my '77 Excella 500 have a lower panel beneath a pull out drawer. All you have to do is pull up on the panel and behind it is a pretty good sized space. I've always thought it would be a great place to put a small gun safe for handguns.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Eurka~

Craig

How about contacting the "PO" to see if he might have a spare key?

justa thought..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 04:46 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Chris just showed me the behind the mirror storage in our 1972Overlander this summer when I helped him put in the day/nite shade in the bathroom. He was amazed I didn't know it was there but he should have know because nothing was stored up there. We also have the laundry bag behind the toilet.
I believe that there is as much storage in our 1972Overlander as in the 34.5. Next summer when we switch out I'll see if my theory is correct. It may be one of those 10 lbs in a 5 pound can but time will tell.
Yesterday I found secrete storage in our 34.5Mhome and was amazed. No not the safe the PO was really proud of that.
In the bedroom cabinet which holds the tv the whole road side of the tv shelf (after the tv was centered in the cabinet) is open for hiding valuables of some sort.
mareinmn (alabama for the winter)
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 07:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Below the pull out pantry in our '85 Sovereign is a space about 6" high, the width of the pantry, and over a foot deep. This unused space was present in all models with the pull out pantry, and for all I know is still just empty space on the current models.

When I needed just a little more room for a new 12 volt Aquajet ES water pump than was available for the old pump, this hole turned out to be very useful.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 07:52 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

I didn't know about the safe in my 345 till I saw someone mention one on this forum I think. You really can't tell it is there under the carpet so I never noticed it. Then I remembered some 'extra' keys that came with the coach... as luck would have it, I had the key also. Too bad there was no treasure to be found.
1367_345 is offline   Reply With Quote