Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Clovis , California
Roll- up shade in door

Hi all - I have a problem that I wondered if anyone else has solved. I am renovating an '81 Excella and have discovered that there is a torn, sun damaged and dry old roller shade on my front door window tucked up high and in-between the inner and outer skins. Obviously this is needed for privacy and bedtime, but how in the heck do I get up in there to change it out??? A shade cannot be mounted to the inside of the door as the screen door is flush against it, so I have to get at this old piece. Do I have to remove the inner panel of the door to do this & if so, how?? My rivets are painted over and not easily accessible, but I can try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Unfortunately you will have to remove the inner, upper skin to.access thst darned shade! I literally began to do this again this afternoon but its beginning to get cold and dsrk fast. I bought replacement parts maybe 5 yesrs sgo from Big Lots. It cost me a whopping $3 but then again it only lasted a few years...
very simple fix.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My 93 has the same thing. I rolled it uno and neatly tucked it in, I have a small Happy Camper banner that I am planning on covering the window with. Not really worried about peekers.

That shade is pretty dumb. The one thing dumber is my doorbell.

https://youtu.be/OOgd9hitEAE
Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
2003 31' Classic
Odessa , Texas
I love the doorbell...
Dieselspeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaE View Post
Hi all - I have a problem that I wondered if anyone else has solved. I am renovating an '81 Excella and have discovered that there is a torn, sun damaged and dry old roller shade on my front door window tucked up high and in-between the inner and outer skins. Obviously this is needed for privacy and bedtime, but how in the heck do I get up in there to change it out??? A shade cannot be mounted to the inside of the door as the screen door is flush against it, so I have to get at this old piece. Do I have to remove the inner panel of the door to do this & if so, how?? My rivets are painted over and not easily accessible, but I can try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We encountered the same issue with our 1985 Classic 345 moho.

1. Using a 1/8th-inch drill bit, drill out the rivests on the interior door panel. (The drilled-out rivets will just drop down into the door cavity. Don't worry about them.)

2. Once the rivets are out, the door panel should come off easily, exposing what's left of your roller shade. We replaced our shade with a new shade from Home Depot. HD will cut it to the proper size for you.

3. In order to prevent the shade from flapping around the roller and again becoming inaccessible, we wrapped the bottom of the new shade around a wood slat and riveted it in place. We then mounted the new shade where the old one was.

4. Using a rivet tool and 1/8th-inch rivets, we replaced the door panel.

You may prefer not to replace the shade once you have removed it. Some people opt for a translucent film instead; the film provides both privacy and light.

Good luck!
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Dont diss the doorbell!
its a snooty cool that only we Airstreamers enjoy!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
1980 31' International
1962 19' Globetrotter
Naples , N. Idaho
window film

I put window film from HD on half of the window. They have a lot of patterns. take a look online.
yarlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
I have the same issue with my '90 Excella. I think I'll do the same & just put something over it. I like the Happy Camper banner idea!
Tampatomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Clovis , California
Thank you everyone!

I love the doorbell too, and since I like the idea of my roller shade I 'm going riveting for the first time to replace it. Thank you for all your input.
LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My doorbell wires lie broken between the skins. Maybe someday I will take the inner skin off to fix it. If I do maybe I will hook it to an Aaoogah horn under the door.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
Door roller shade mod

I'm really lazy. I pulled the old roller shade all the way out but still attached to the door. Cut the old shade off about 10" from the roller. I had a leftover piece of a roller that had been cut off when some of the other window shades were replaced that was the perfect width. Pulled this shade off the newer roller, cut off some of the length and taped it to the old roller fabric with duck tape (if I did again, I'd use wide blue painters tape) on both sides. You don't see the duck tape and it rolls up fine.
sabegirl is offline   Reply With Quote