Old 04-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #21
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I tow a.25 year old 34' classic with 15" tires inflated hard. Seldom balance the tires.
I'm certain I'm overloaded by a thousand pounds.
I use 1200 pound spring bars cranked up tight.
I drive 55-60 and have never earned a loose or popped rivet externally.... I did loose a pop rivet in the shower......
perhaps my neglect and abuse is a call to return more rivets per inch per the narrow body days and to slow down a bit?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Question

"This may be a dumb question, but does one need to put the centramatic Balancers on both the trailer and the tow vehicle - or just the trailer?
Yesterday 08:32 AM"

Well.....I thought I'd try them on the Burb as well the AS, but...they don't make them for the Burb.

I realized after the fact that it's really a bit redundant.....it's pretty easy to determine when the TV wheels need attention, your riding in it after-all.
"Road Force" balance has worked very well for the TV over the years.

Bob

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Bob, where did you get your Centramatic balancers for the !6" airstream wheels and how much did a set of 2 cost?
Thanks,
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:42 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Ken,

I ordered direct from Centramatic.

I don't think the 16" wheel would make any difference as long as the bolt pattern & offset is the same, give them,(Centramatic), a call to make sure, 800-523-8473.

POI....I still have the stock Alcoa 15" wheels & ........ST's.

This is how mine are listed on the invoice....

200221 Set (4ea)
AJP-10"
204 Special Airstream
$199.00

Bob

Tahawus
🌤
Old 04-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Thanks for your reply Bob. Are you planning on going to 16" wheels and tires at some point? I will give Centramatic a call. I can't tell from your invoice what a ballpark figure for 2 balancers are. I love your Starbucks quote, by the way. I have pirated it a few times and it always gets a laugh.
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkm123 View Post
Thanks for your reply Bob. Are you planning on going to 16" wheels and tires at some point? I will give Centramatic a call. I can't tell from your invoice what a ballpark figure for 2 balancers are. I love your Starbucks quote, by the way. I have pirated it a few times and it always gets a laugh.
Ken
Ken,

I'm not into.....

16" wheels.....no. I haven't tasted the kool-aid yet.

I'm on my second set of OMG no's ...when they time out I'll replace with E rated ST's.

Bob

Tahawus
🌤
Old 04-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A few years ago I noticed a couple, maybe 3, exterior rivets missing. I replaced them with olympics and have not noticed any further exterior ones missing. I also have replaced 1 or 2 interior ones but not since installing the centramatic balancers. Still we occasionally find a drawer or 2 open during travel but much less often since the centramatics. I suppose it's in direct proportion to the miles on secondary and less then secondary roads we travel. Sometimes I will leave some unbreakable item on the counter only to be suprised when I find it still there after driving. Sometimes it's not.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Sheet Metal Screw does the job... maybe?

My popped rivet and one ready to pop to the right of the door frame... was 'stabilized' by using whatever I could find laying within my tool box.

I found a steel metal screw that matches the aluminum very well. Long enough to get some grip into the frame, maybe 5/16". It was a philips head and the interesting part is the head of the screw had an edge that resembled a small washer, but was a part of the screw head.

I used my battery hand held drill and careful drove the screw into the frame and when friction said 'I have had enough' it is snug and flush. After 900 miles with my 16" Michelin replacement... the screw is holding. The almost popped rivet below the one I replaced with a sheet metal screw now is 'flush' and appears to be stable.

I looked for MORE of these sheet metal screws with the odd 'head' in my tool box and my 150 pounds of bolts and washers with no luck. I do not want to remove it and take it to a hardware store, so will keep looking for something similar.

I tossed my rivet tool and pop rivets away decades ago. Although not 'factory', I am going to try using sheet metal screws that are close to what is working at the moment.

My philosophy is if the original rivets are not holding... try something else that might.

This might work and save other factory rivets from failing especially on those rivets along the curved sides of the interior than tend to pop.

Why repeat the same thing over and over when either a hammer or a screwdriver might do the job? In this case the screwdriver and sheet metal screw worked. Try finding it... in our Airstream. You would not know.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Lath Screw replacing Popped Pop Rivets...

Post #28... sheet metal screw. Took it to Lowes and compared it with a hundred kinds and matched LATH SCREWs perfectly. As follows:

It was a Lath Screw #8 x 1/2". It uses a #2 Phillips head for an exact fit.
Lowes sells a package of 260 lath screws that appear to be polished aluminum, but hard and I have to say they are steel. When I am home and have a magnet I will see what metal I am working with.

The size works perfectly for length, measured from the top of the head to the sharp tip. The thread begin just a bit above the sharp tip. It tightens securely into the rivet hole and enters only a short distance. The indent is the same as those with the pop rivet... although looks nicer and difficult to see at a glance.

Builder Teks Lath Screws #21500, carton of 260, under $6.00 from Lowes. They come in a clear plastic, snap lid on one end to open, durable container. These will last me for as long as I own an Airstream. Although, it would be nicer if I did not need them at all.

They are probably a warranty item if I wanted to drive around the country and have each and every popped pop rivet replaced...

Used SIX lath screws yesterday. Only 254 left to go. I have a thread describing my experiences with using them and will post further comments once towing into the back country.

Lots of opinions have been made on the other thread in Interior Restorations.

Is this the cure for errant pop rivets? I think so. Time will tell and I am not bashful to report it was a good or bad idea. Am on the road this Saturday for the Summer Adventures.