Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2003, 05:47 PM   #1

replace twin beds in rear bedroom update

replace twin beds in rear bedroom
was my starting point on that suject.

Then, after a "little" argument with Camping World, I got some updates on foam pads & custom mattresses. Go to the 5th post here:
Buying mattress pad? beware of Camping World false ad.

About redoing the bedroom:

we have decided to turn the bed by 90 degrees. With the head roaside of the trailer. We most certainly are going to leave all the furnitures in place, except the night table, that we may use in the living room (will not work I guess for trailer under 32' or those with dinette. For us, could put roadside, next to other chest, at right angle to it)

We will make a new bed frame, with drawers on 3 sides (may have to lay on bed to access), and lifting bed platform to reach middle cavity, which can be used for light rarelly used things, held in 1 or 2 big bags, like comforter, xtra toilet paper,...
We will install table tops on each side at head of bed.

We used our current mattress (50X74) to see how it will work, so there won't be any surprise.
The only thing I don't like are 3 or 4 of the overhead door handles. Could be too close to our heads. They can be replaced by routed finger notches.

Anybody doing anything similar to that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom 32\'.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1790  
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Stock Configuration

That is exactly how they do it at the factory on many models.

Good plan!

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:01 PM   #3
pap

Nice graphics Femuse, How'd you do that?

Why not put a regular full in there? isnt that 54 x 74 or is it 76?
That would keep you out of Camping Worlds hair for a while & viceversa. Wouldn't it?
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

That seems to me the most livable arrangement for full, or near full time living. It has several advantages, not least is that no custom matress is required.

Where is your water heater? In many models it would be under your "nightstand" next to the bath.

Since you have clearly thought this through, I am curious as to why you are going with drawers under the bed as opposed to a gas strut supported panel that lifts up to a large unobstructed space under the bed. I always thought that would be a great place for some hard to store large bulky items - bedding, winter coats, etc.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:08 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Smily,

I was looking at the pictures and thought the same thing, then scrolled down a bit and saw your post. Took the words right out of my mouth.

I think it looks great!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Why not put a regular full in there?
Regular full 54"x74" , Double 3/4 (RV) 48"x74"

We are using 50" instead of the usual 48", because we know that size works for us. Been full-timing on it for 6 years.
With a real full, 54" wide, we lose 4" of space. In a bedroom that size, it counts. I don't want to get too close to the overhead cabinets.

A custom hard foam mattress 4" thick, with zipper cover (to enclose mattress & foam pad) will cost me 176.28. I have just ordered a memory foam pad, 56 X 76 for 64.80. Bed total cost $241.08 , and I will have left over foam to put under the pillows.

Quote:
drawers under the bed as opposed to a gas strut supported panel that lifts up to a large unobstructed space under the bed
It will have both. A single space, it would be a mess, and a real pain to use. The drawers will help keep things in order and more accessible. The space left in the middle, difficult to reach this way, will be accessed by lifting the platform. But not too often.

Quote:
Nice graphics Femuse, How'd you do that?
CorelDraw
Old 03-21-2003, 01:36 PM   #7

Somebody asked to see a picture of before and after:

for now, we have only before. Our pictures are not as clear as this one, but the lay out is identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twin beds.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1791  
Old 03-24-2003, 09:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Sounds like fun. This is not how the sold the single-bed arrangement in 1992. I have an old brochure at home that I will try to get scanned this evening.

I am reticent to do something like this since I don't want to loose my storage on the curbside under the doorside bed.

Keep us posted, however.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote