Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plainfield , New Hampshire
Replace queen with couch?

Has anyone replaced the queen bed and the platform with drawers underneath with a sleeper sofa or gaucho? I have a 30' 2006 Classic rear bedroom in which I cannot function well.
MikeAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hey YOU own the trailer, you do what you want to with it. If you have a place to store the platform parts and drawers that might come in handy if you want to sell it at some time in the future.

It's my personal opinion (worth what you're paying for it $.00 ) that most sleeper sofas are not outstandingly comfortable as either couches or beds. If you have the bed with the surrounding closets, a sleeper sofa would be the fairly easy to put in IF you got one with removable arms. I have found the single Castro Convertibles to be fairly decent and if they made a double or queen you might want to give it a look-see. Also you might want to Google "convertible desk bed" For an Airstream the single desk/bed combo would work... except I it would only be about 70 inches tall which could work for a shortie like me, but... Murphy bed? Problem with the curved ceiling. Some folks have converted queen to twins or vice versa - less intensive redo IF you have the panoramic windows in the bedroom and don't have to rip out closets.

What are your plans for the bedroom - a second living area with sleeping space for one or for two?

Paula
Old 03-22-2016, 03:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
You got me thinking outside the box last night. I fulltime - alone - in my Eddie Bauer and the crossways queen bugs me a lot. The older I get the more changing the sheets and making up the bed are going to irritate me - and I really wish I had a dedicated desk/worktable. And the underbed storage is a bit of a pain in the neck to utilize... so perhaps I should make up a DEN that I could sleep in. Toss the bed and end table, have low storage drawers on the curbside that would still allow me to use the outside door to store hitching parts and pieces. Furnish with a Castro Convertible which doubles as an Ottoman, add a smallish recliner and set up card table/workstation/desk and perhaps use a 2 drawer filing cabinet that could double as an end table. I'd have a standard single size bed that's dead easy to make -- and to hide by folding it up and slipping on the ottoman cover. More drawer storage, one super comfortable recliner... what's not to love? Visitors sleep on the side couch or dinette anyway. Hm...
Old 03-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
And then I remembered where they put the converter and inverter in my rig. Easy to move the inverter. The converter? Not so sure.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plainfield , New Hampshire
Replace queen

Thanks for the feedback. I sleep alone in the bedroom, with relative in front living room using gaucho. I think the front fold out gaucho is much more comfortable than the bed in the bedroom. No place to sit in the bedroom or even bend over to put on shoes. In my stick home I often sleep in the recliner. There would be much more room to walk around if the bed folded up somehow. In my A/S the current short queen bed fits in between built in cabinets on each side of the headboard, with overhead cabinets. I would keep the cabinets, remove the bed, platform and drawers, and slide a hide a bed in the empty space and bolt it down. I just wondered if anyone had ever done this.
MikeAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAir View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I sleep alone in the bedroom, with relative in front living room using gaucho. I think the front fold out gaucho is much more comfortable than the bed in the bedroom. No place to sit in the bedroom or even bend over to put on shoes. In my stick home I often sleep in the recliner. There would be much more room to walk around if the bed folded up somehow. In my A/S the current short queen bed fits in between built in cabinets on each side of the headboard, with overhead cabinets. I would keep the cabinets, remove the bed, platform and drawers, and slide a hide a bed in the empty space and bolt it down. I just wondered if anyone had ever done this.
Hey Mike, measure the distance between the closets - it's barely over 70 inches - the width of the 70 x 75 short queen. If you're even close to six feet tall you'll probably find that a 5'10" long bed will lead to propping either your head or your feet against the closet, but of course it can be done. You'd have to shop carefully for a standard twin frame that was short enough. I think a standard twin is 75 long. I HAVE slept on more than one hide-a-bed and haven't been favorably impressed - though I'm sure there are some that are comfortable, but I have slept on the Castro Convertible and it IS as comfortable as any regular twin bed. (Most of the cheap ones you can feel the metal braces right though the mattress.) That would fold up really small in that nook, and you could have a card table or a recliner in the bedroom too.