Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Removing paint from walls of Airstream

Is it possible to remove white paint that was painted on the interior walls of an Airstream and return it to what it looked like from the factory? This is on a 1971 Airstream. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the material on the walls inside the trailer is called Zolatone. It was originally a light tan color as the person did not paint it inside the closets and it is still visible in there. If possible, I'd like a way to return the living area and bedroom to that same look.
2.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I think Zolatone was on 50's and early 60's trailers. Mine has vinyl covered aluminum, so should yours. I doubt you'll be able to get the paint off if it was applied on a clean, primed surface.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
I think Zolatone was on 50's and early 60's trailers. Mine has vinyl covered aluminum, so should yours. I doubt you'll be able to get the paint off if it was applied on a clean, primed surface.
Oh okay, thanks. It probably is vinyl then. I wasn't sure what it was.

Is yours painted? If so, what color? The person that painted this painted it white, and it shows everything.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Mine is not painted except for just a few inches around the air conditioner. It's white and it shows every mark.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
Life long Airstreamer

1966 24' Tradewind
Lewiston , Idaho
I have a 66 TW and the inside was painted over with a dark green by the previous owner. I am stripping all the paint down to the vinyl with orange stripper which is working well. You have to let it work long enough and not to scrape too hard or you can damage the vinyl. Then I'll sand it and paint.
korgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by korgen View Post
I have a 66 TW and the inside was painted over with a dark green by the previous owner. I am stripping all the paint down to the vinyl with orange stripper which is working well. You have to let it work long enough and not to scrape too hard or you can damage the vinyl. Then I'll sand it and paint.
Are you using Citristrip?

How does the vinyl look underneath the paint?