Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Refinished sink in bath in 64

My old sink had oxidized a bit. I was afraid I'd have to paint it, and wasn't thrilled with the idea as it could peel later on.

Instead, I just tried to buff the oxidation out, just to see what would happen. I used the Airbrite medium from Vintage Trailer supply. The color came back, plus a beautiful deep gloss. I'll have to post pics tonight or tomorrow.

So, before you trash or paint over your old bathroom, try buffing. I even used my cyclo with sponge pads on the bench. Turned out awesome.

Keeping it original!
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via ICQ to CraigFulton
Nice! I never thought of this. I am saving the sinks in my '62 Safari. I do have one sink that is chipped and rusting. I assume I'll have to patch that, but wondering if I need to refinish the entire sink or just that small area.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Ah, I have plastic sink and tub. The 62 may have had porcelain over steel. They do make porcelain repair kits, but they usually come in white. It may be hard to fill that to make it work, but I would think you could build it up an then sand down as the repair kits are usually made of an epoxy instead of porcelain.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote