Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Queen bed to twins

That's it. Our queen bed is just too tight for long trips and confining to move around. Anyone know a good shop who would do the conversion from a queen to twins with a headboard? We have a 2004 safari 28. I am currently on the west coast but live in Michigan. Open to any side of the country but thinking of leaving the streamer out west for the next few years. Thanks for any feed back.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
That's it. Our queen bed is just too tight for long trips and confining to move around. Anyone know a good shop who would do the conversion from a queen to twins with a headboard? We have a 2004 safari 28. I am currently on the west coast but live in Michigan. Open to any side of the country but thinking of leaving the streamer out west for the next few years. Thanks for any feed back.
We do that type work, and more, as a matter of routine.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Check with Uwe

He is at www.area63productions.com in Orange, CA. Also you say you are out west, the West Coast is a big area.....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

A friend of mine had his twins converted to a queen over at C&G Trailer. He said the wife wanted the queen.

It came out good. The website is www.cgtrailer.com.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I have had the twins and now I have the queen. I am still not sure of which I prefer.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
We are in the middle of that queen vs. twin argument at our house too. Jimmy prefers twins and I prefer a queen. As far as having more room for getting dressed and sitting on the side of the bed to put your shoes on - twins is the only way to go. But they are a back breaker to have to make up a bed with walls surrounding on three sides!

Jimmy converted the one trailer we own with twins from a full sized. I don't think it was too much of a difficult job because he was just taking it back to it's factory finished layout. A previous owner had turned it from the twin layout to the full size. He was able to rebuild the bases and we ordered wonderful new mattresses.

Safari 28 I can understand the room constraints with the queen. Is this a job you could tackle yourself?

Our answer may not work for everyone but right now we have one Airstream with twins and another one with a queen.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Thanks to all and man a real challenge. Just did hwy 1 from Lompoc to now sitting in the koa in moss landing. The old f150 got a real workout and after yesterday threading through culver city/l.a. and the like, well this baby can go anywhere!! Would not want any bigger rig.

Wife sleeping on the front couch bed, she gets claustrophobia in the back. I will call all leads, and thanks.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimarq View Post
We are in the middle of that queen vs. twin argument at our house too. Jimmy prefers twins and I prefer a queen. As far as having more room for getting dressed and sitting on the side of the bed to put your shoes on - twins is the only way to go. But they are a back breaker to have to make up a bed with walls surrounding on three sides!

Jimmy converted the one trailer we own with twins from a full sized. I don't think it was too much of a difficult job because he was just taking it back to it's factory finished layout. A previous owner had turned it from the twin layout to the full size. He was able to rebuild the bases and we ordered wonderful new mattresses.

Safari 28 I can understand the room constraints with the queen. Is this a job you could tackle yourself?

Our answer may not work for everyone but right now we have one Airstream with twins and another one with a queen.
It just seems after over 130 nights in this puppy, a center aisle to the back would make it easier for the both us. It is indeed a space challenged product, and the reward is handling and ease of towing. I find the closets they offer as minimal and unless the coat hangers are secured on the rod, the hangers wind up of the rod. I do however feel nothing is going t be perfect and really she loves the bed upfront away from me as far as can be. O well, thanks for the feed back.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
ever wonder why she feels that way bunko?
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
She says she misses me, so that is a good sign. I did wonder however.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #11
Ladylongwinger

1999 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Bed size conversions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
We do that type work, and more, as a matter of routine.

Andy
Hello,

I realize you can't give a firm quote, but is there a ball park estimate of how much it would cost to change from a center queen bed to two twins? Or one twin and a slide-out futon-like couch/bed?

Also, does anyone ever change out the full(?) size bed in the 19' Bambi with a twin? Or is the bed frame as it exists essential?

Thanks!

Anne in VA
Old 02-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylongwing View Post
Hello,

I realize you can't give a firm quote, but is there a ball park estimate of how much it would cost to change from a center queen bed to two twins? Or one twin and a slide-out futon-like couch/bed?

Also, does anyone ever change out the full(?) size bed in the 19' Bambi with a twin? Or is the bed frame as it exists essential?

Thanks!Anne in VA
Pate Rawak, former sales manager of Airstream when asked for a ball park, would always answer, Yankee Stadium, Dodger Stadium, etc.

Changing the furniture layout, is not that difficult. It's what's underneath it that may have to be relocated.

Without seeing the exact trailer, makes it impossible for me to even quote, a ball park.

Sorry.

But you could call the factory, and ask them. Perhaps they could better answer your question.

Andy
Old 02-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I know, I started this thread, we have decided to put in a select comfort bed and the claustrophobia for my wife goes away with a shot of crown royal before night night time.

Andy, I am saving my dimes so that soon you can strip the remaining clear coat and paint her. I am thinking a silver blue. What ya think?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
I know, I started this thread, we have decided to put in a select comfort bed and the claustrophobia for my wife goes away with a shot of crown royal before night night time.

Andy, I am saving my dimes so that soon you can strip the remaining clear coat and paint her. I am thinking a silver blue. What ya think?
Any color of your choice will do, except polka dot.

The big thing is the quality of the paint material used, primer, color and then clear.

Andy
Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Lander , Wyoming
WE have an airstream '94 excella 1000 ( I think its a 34 ft) with two twins and my husband is going away to Iraq for a year and I am thinking about moving our queen bed into the trailer intead of the two twin because I love our bed and I don't want to store it.

I wouldn't even mind not having space around the sides and just having the bed in the back like a marine berth bed. Will my current mattress be to heavy (or hell even fit) and is there a simple way to modify for a queen?
minamyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #16

1984 34' Excella
Warren , Michigan
Interested in converting full to twins as well

I have a 84 Excella that originally had rear twins, my dad had it converted to a full. I've inherrited the trailer and often use it by myself on hunting trips, but I am a single dad with 3 kids and would like to convert it back to the twin beds to make the trailer more "kid friendly". I'd like to do the job myself, has anyone done this on their own? also I've never seen the original layout for the twin frames, I wondered if the frame was riveted to the wall? I'm curious if the wall is strong enough to support the weight or if I should just attach the frame to the floor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
scott68 is offline   Reply With Quote