Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Athens , Illinois
Putting a safe in 2012 27' FB Int

Hello,

I am looking into putting a safe in my AS. I want it to be bolted to the AS so someone could not simply just take the entire safe. Does anyone out there have any advice on this? Best placement for the safe, etc? I want the safe to be easily accessible and out of view. It can be small. I simply need to store spare cash, documents, etc.
Jordanparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I prefer to less obvious...or "hide in plain sight"...sorta.

There are a lot of "wasted spaces" in behind cabinetry, etc. I found a spot where I believe no one would even suspect to look...because it looks like it is screwed on and a solid panel with no cavity behind it.

Obviously, I won't disclose the location here, and my Classic is different than you Intl. PM me and we can discuss, if you're interested.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Look under your mattress - the construction of the bed makes for some voids that can only be accessed by lifting the mattress. Lots of direct contact to the subfloor for a bolt down option for the lockbox. I say lockbox - I would avoid the "safe" idea for weight reasons. Look at handgun lockbox options at a sporting goods store. Small, electronic touch combos that are easy to get into by the owner but would slow a thief down some to make it tough to do in a hurry.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Last winter when I was boondocking in Quartzsite on Plomosa Road, an older small Toyota Class C camper caught fire. The speed and intensity of the fire was beyond what you would think. The owner had had her propane tank topped up and the young lad at the propane pump used a hammer to loosen the connection with his hose (I guess he didn't realize that when there is a drop in pressure associated with the fill that there is a drop in temperature as well, and that the connection would get tight - waiting a few minutes to allow the connection to warm to ambient temperature would allow the hose to be released.

The lady who owned the camper (she was a full-timer, so all her personal effects were in the camper, not at a house somewhere else) was sitting with friends nearby when they noticed the fire. She opened the door and met a wall of flames. She grabbed the only two things that were right at the door - her guitar case and her laptop case. Everything else was destroyed by the fire - her purse with her money and ID, her clothes, her money, etc.

I was camped right across the road in an AS LY motorhome - later that week I went into a Walmart store and bought a fire-resistant file box to secure important papers (insurance policy, banking stuff, health records, veterinary records, passports). I leave the key in the lock - there is no cash in the box.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I see you have a Hummer H2. I think that there are several options for security boxes for that vehicle available on line. I know that BesTop has an under seat security box for small semi-automatic pistols for late model Wranglers. Personally, I would prefer to have that stuff in my vehicle rather than the trailer.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We put a safe in our CCD International. PM me and I'll be glad to help if I can.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote