Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Pretty sure i just made a big mistake!

Just finishing up my 71 safari interior restore, getting the bathroom put back together after replacing the floor and I find what looks to be fibre optic cable that in my rush tearing the trailer apart I cut. Obviously when I cut it a month ago I had no idea it was fibre optic, had no idea at the time these trailers had it.

Anybody have any ideas how I can fix this, or maybe a alternative to running the fibre optic cable? Pretty sure you cannot splice this stuff together.
bonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It's purpose is to confirm that your rear taillights are operating. The sensor sits in the taillight housing, and turning on the lights illuminates the lens in a rear side marker made especially for this.

I agree you can't repair it, but where to get a new on is a really good question...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
do you need it? is it part of the lights?

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The fiber optic to see if the tail/stop lights were working was a nice idea, and worked fairly well, but certainly is not a disaster if it is not working or repaired. In fact, since many are putting LED lights on their rigs, it is virtually impossible to make the old fiber system work with any conversion lights. I simply would not worry about it unless you are making a totally original museum piece AS.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Fiber Optic repair

Hello. I had an old Cadddy that had the fiber optic going to the tail lights, turn signals and one more place that I can't remember. The previous owner, for some reason had cut them. What I did was take a razor blade and make a nice clean cut on the ends. Take a piece of shrink tube and place it on one side of fiber optic. Hold the two cut ends together and slide the shrink tube over the joint. The secret here is to have some one else hold the two sides of fiber optic tightly together while you use a heat gun to shring the shrink tubing but not to much heat. It's not perfect but it worked in the old Caddy for several years before I junked it.
Happy camping and good luck nm1oqrz PS> don't try to use glue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonuts View Post
Just finishing up my 71 safari interior restore, getting the bathroom put back together after replacing the floor and I find what looks to be fibre optic cable that in my rush tearing the trailer apart I cut. Obviously when I cut it a month ago I had no idea it was fibre optic, had no idea at the time these trailers had it.

Anybody have any ideas how I can fix this, or maybe a alternative to running the fibre optic cable? Pretty sure you cannot splice this stuff together.
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Thanks for the responses. Definitely not a show piece so I guess I won't worry too much. Will try splicing them together.
bonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #7

1967 17' Caravel
Brooklyn Center , Minnesota
I am in the fibre cable business. Maybe I have a leftover that will work. I need a length and a picture of the tip connector...and no, you cannot splice fibre
Albertk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Albertk - remember this is a 1971 Safari - the glass fiber is probably made by hand in a coal-fired forge and only 12 or 37 times thicker than anything used commercially in the last 20 years...
Old 07-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonuts View Post

Just a thought, but you might check with Andy at Inland RV Center in Corona, CA. I have found him to be very helpful and to take the time to really understand your needs in the past.

Cheers,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I had the same issues and got rid of the system. One of my fibers was broken and I cut the other replacing the rear floor. I also put a plate over the output on the left front corner of the trailer. I think it was a leak point. You could get you a couple LED's and put them where the fibers went. You would need to remove the front skins to access though. Again more trouble than is it worth.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote