Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Hi Jack, Looking at your post#19 those 3 sections Left: ProtectaClear, Middle: Bare Alloy, Right: Polished with a PTEF Marine Coating. The Left hand side off the sheet looks Mint.Doing a spot Meld repair on the finger print should be easy I guess, if you do try it could you post the results?.For an even more comprehensive test a strip off that left outside in very unfavorable conditions and abused periodically and left over time would be good to know although the cut edges would also need to be coated, as other people like myself could be looking at doing their entire machine's Roof n Sides, Bumpers n All.I got this response from Jennifer Allgood at Everbrite,last week = " Yes, ProtectaClear will stop the filiform from forming. You will need to be sure the surface is prept clean from all acid residues, oil residues before you coat of course. I have many Airstream owners who are pleased with the results of ProtectaClear on their trailers".
Iv been through the Forums and I cant find any references or follow ups on these "many Airstreamers" using this stuff!?
Any way you look like you have found a good solution to your original problem well done.

Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Gainesville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
Hi Unka, You may know this already by now, this is the Canadian distributor 4oz CAD $31.00 = 25 square feet.If you do go ahead could you post here as to how it all went, others would be interested I bet. I'm getting the gallon to do my Airstream 345 exterior body plus roof and I'm making sure I prep very very well with backing soda then Denatured Alcohol.
EURO architectural 127A Aviva Park Drive Woodbridge, OntarioL4L 9C1
Tel: 905-265-1093 Toll Free: 1-800-465-7143 E-mail: info@euroeac.com

Russ
Russ,
I am thinking about using everbrite on my 96 Excella after stripping clear coat. Curious if you finished putting it on your Airstream and if your happy with results?
Thank you Jim Burnham
jucsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:48 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Hi Jim,
I bought a small can off everbright and did exterior test, very good preparation but it failed miserably. Peeled and faded away.
Thats putting it politely
What I would be prepared to try is using it up on something metal on the interior.
Their claims for exterior treatments amounts to a snake oil sales pitch.

My solution after strippng my degraded clear coat was to seal all my rivit heads using Captain Tollys Creeping Crack Cure .
It takes 1sec per rivit, that immediately stopped all my leaks after the clear coat had been removed!
I now wipe the exterior sides down with a 90% white spirits 10% boiled linseed or corrosion X.
Takes an hour to do every six months.
Avoiding all synthetic solutions and after two years can't find a problem to complain about..
Hope this is off use.
Rus
Old 08-06-2020, 04:07 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Gainesville , Georgia
Wow, great suggestions! Never heard of Captain Tollys but have found numerous discussions about the stuff on this forum. Very intrigued by the White spirits and boiled linseed or corrosion x suggestion as well.

Your experience with everbrite was not a surprise, I’m sure the board would be filled with testimonies if it worked. Thank you so much for your helpful and quick reply.

What can you tell me about Airstreams in New Zealand? My brother’s married to a kiwi from Wellington and is down there frequently. Do you ever camp around Taupo? Beautiful area.

Cheers
Jim
jucsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:14 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Hi Jim,
That Captain Tollies stuff has been in the marine industry for many years. My experiance with the rivited panels once I had removed the clear coat left me with so many unstopable leaks I was beside myself. Untill =CT stuff, it behaves like water and runs along any edge or crack, then sets like a tuff stretchy membrane , quite unusual. When I aplied it if it disapeard I'd give it a moment then couple tiny drops more and you'd see it seal and wick across the gap and 10 min its set.
Thinking about where and why so much water was leaking in, most off the roof rivits when pulled tight had created a very shallow bowl in the alloy that off course would fill up with water continuously and if there was the slightest gap around rivit head well 200 X. My intention is to preserve this AS an keep it original.
There are a few AS down here Large Small Vintage ones. I paid around US$16000 to freight my 345 that included taxes and duty because being a motorhome that duty is to protect our motorhome manufacturing here.
I'm very happy with the cost all up, around $28000. As I use it as a design office its more than paid for it self these last 5 years.
Trying to get this main product finalized being the MK3 version and tested then sent into the US!
Yes your right I would benefit from taking it on the road around the country but this project won't let me go :{
Nice hidden Thermal Hot Pools around Taupo, just what I need right now being mid winter down here.
Sorry about rattling on abit Jim. We are still cv free so I'm making the most off it, in case it comes a knocking!

Rus
Old 08-07-2020, 06:05 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Have you considered 3M Clear Wrap?. 🤔
Easy to repair or can be removed by the new owner when it's time to up-grade😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Fonthill , Ontario
Since there’s activity back on this thread I thought I’d give a report on the interior use of Everbrite. It’s been about 3 years since I coated interior sections of the Airstream. To date it has not faded or peeled. It does abrade off as would any other coating subject to sharp edges and rubbing. Living in Canada, it’s subject to extreme swings of heat and cold. Perfect application on large areas is problematic but not impossible. It should be easier in a paint booth with spray application. Over all I am quite pleased with the results. Would I use it again? Probably, but that would depend on design considerations at that time. As a side note, I installed a S/S panel as a kitchen backsplash. It’s easier to remove fingerprints from the coated areas than the S/S. but I can scrub the S/S. I thought about using the stainless for the interior, but it was 3-4 the cost just for materials.if anybody is thinking of it, you need to use a thinner sheet to get the same flex as the aluminium.

Jack
73's VE3ZPW
Unka Jack is offline   Reply With Quote