Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Los angeles , California
Please help - How to put windows back

Hello,

I have a 72 Tradewind, I took off all the windows and now trying to put them back. I alrrady broke one jere the frame and the holding bar (that sits into the body of the AS). I am holsing the window all the way up and putting the bracket in and then taking window down. But there is a huge pressure on bracket.
Spookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookies View Post
Hello,

I have a 72 Tradewind, I took off all the windows and now trying to put them back. I alrrady broke one jere the frame and the holding bar (that sits into the body of the AS). I am holsing the window all the way up and putting the bracket in and then taking window down. But there is a huge pressure on bracket.
Patience! You just have to be slow with the u in the chanel that holds the window in. When you feel pressure raise it back up a little, wiggle a little and then slowly try to lower again. It can be a pain, but its really just patience and care. Put a little lubricant on the hinge to help it swing smoothly. If you have to take the window out and take a short break.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Sometimes you need a third hand to push the middle of the up a bit. It's much easier with two people.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Patience! You just have to be slow with the u in the chanel that holds the window in. When you feel pressure raise it back up a little, wiggle a little and then slowly try to lower again. It can be a pain, but its really just patience and care. Put a little lubricant on the hinge to help it swing smoothly. If you have to take the window out and take a short break.
Thanks a lot!!!
Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Sometimes you need a third hand to push the middle of the up a bit. It's much easier with two people.
Thank you indeed!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
Window replacement

I had to replace a window for our 72 Safari. Our grandson was weed whacking and a rock shattered the window. It took 3 of us to get the new window back in.
Good luck...
BScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:34 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
Disassembling all of the windows on my 72 Sovereign first thing task after buying. They were so full of dried up, flaking off coating crap that they looked like little dioramas. They made my Airstream look like poo.
The first one i tackled came off or out of the bracket unexpectedly. While I was trying to remove the screws holding the two panes together. This sent my flopping off my ladder holding the damned window so as to not break it while i sacrificed my arms, legs, head...
Getting the windows cleaned generated some of the most unusual combination of vulgarities, sounds, unintelegible strings of all the former and lots of just flat out primal screams.
I can hardly wait to replace the seals!
Happyjoemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:00 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
When I absolutely can not get our windows back in, I have found that the U-Channel has been actually closed up too tight (by leaning a ladder on it or other causes). I take a wide, stiff putty knife and gently open the channel back up; then the window goes back in easily

Shawn
Argosy man is offline   Reply With Quote