Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Has anyone brushed on the Whitecoat or a simlar product with good results?

I want to paint my 72 rear bath bathroom tub and sink, but don't want to tear it apart.
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:44 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Concord , North Carolina
Hi, just a quick note on tinting the epoxy for the bath. Read the label and it tells you that you can add up to 1 oz. of pigment for a color change, nothing drastic just to shade out the brillant white. I'm redoing mine in a mellow yellow to stay as original as possible.
solitairenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:24 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Also wondering

I am really getting tired of the drab yellow in my bathroom as well as the front cap of our Airstream. I would like to paint these pieces as well, but was wondering if anyone had any luck doing this without taking anything apart. If so, please let me/us know. PM me if you would like and let me know how you did it and how it turned out.
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
I have some cracks in the shower where you sit.I was wondering if there anyway to repair this or should we just replace it.We don't use the bathroom at all but for storage so we never noticed it before now.After seeing your post about the whitecote We was going to try it on the bathroom sink since the sun had discolored it.then we found the two cracks in the shower sit.So i wanted to see what you'll had to say first.
Angel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Looking for a product to redo the sink in my AS. It is the original WHITE double bowl. We want to make it BLACK. OUr new countertops are going to be a blakc granite pattern laminate. The only product I've found readily available is Tough As Tiles, but it is only available in WHITE or tintable with a max of 1 ounce.

Either that or a good source for a small BLACK sink, doesn't have to be double bowl, could be single. If I can't refinish the existing, or find a BLACK one to fit, I'm stuck going with Stainless Steel, which I'd prefer not to do.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel73
I have some cracks in the shower where you sit.I was wondering if there anyway to repair this or should we just replace it.We don't use the bathroom at all but for storage so we never noticed it before now.After seeing your post about the whitecote We was going to try it on the bathroom sink since the sun had discolored it.then we found the two cracks in the shower sit.So i wanted to see what you'll had to say first.
I had a crack in the seat of the shower as well, Por 15 (sounds like an edorsment) has a 2 part epoxy that looks like sticks of putty.
http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/PUTTYF...7/Default.aspx
It worked great, made a ball, that looked like silly putty and spread it out over the back side. Place a thin layer on the front side and smothed it out, let it dry, hand sanded it. You can not even see it was there now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower seat.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	20570  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Either that or a good source for a small BLACK sink, doesn't have to be double bowl, could be single. If I can't refinish the existing, or find a BLACK one to fit, I'm stuck going with Stainless Steel, which I'd prefer not to do.
The only black sinks that I can think of right now are made by Kindred:

http://www.fhpkindred.com/home.asp

And Frank (look at the granite & fireclay models - shown as white but comes in matte or gloss black):

http://www.frankeksd.com/productcate...?cat=1&node=10

Both companies are related, so you'll see some crossover of models.

If you live in a good sized city, look in the yelwpages for kitchen and bath suppliers (not Home Depot or other big box store). These places will have show rooms that will display fixtures by manufacturers that you wont see at the big box stores. Look at some of the European lines as they tend to be available in colours other than white and bone. I'll have a look through someofmy other product literature and see if I can find anything else for you.

Cheers!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #28
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I had a crack in the seat of the shower as well, Por 15 (sounds like an edorsment) has a 2 part epoxy that looks like sticks of putty.
http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/PUTTYF...7/Default.aspx
It worked great, made a ball, that looked like silly putty and spread it out over the back side. Place a thin layer on the front side and smothed it out, let it dry, hand sanded it. You can not even see it was there now.
I was wondering. My 75 has a wooden frame under the seating part of the shower, does your? I have to admit, that shower is smaller then most phone booths. I doubt that Clark Kent could change into Superman in that thing.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Greatpumpkin, here is another manufacturer of solid surface sinks available in a variety of colours. I actually have one of these in my kitchen and it is standing up very well to everyday use.

http://www.swanstone.com/products/kitchenSinks/
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I was wondering. My 75 has a wooden frame under the seating part of the shower, does your? I have to admit, that shower is smaller then most phone booths. I doubt that Clark Kent could change into Superman in that thing.
Yes it does, I made a new one, better than the one that was there to beaf it up and make it steady...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 05-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
POR 15 on Wall Board in Shower?

Guys,
I am a newbie to Airstreams (only had my 79 Sovereign for 3 weeks). I have stripped all my furniture out and I am now working on fixing some soft flooring. However, in the bathroom we have the "yellow" plastic sink and counter-top and we have the really ugly flowered wall board all over. My question is this...Could you use Por-15 or Rust-oleum's tub and tile on that wall board to change it's color? Would it stick? Thanks for helping and if this question has already been asked I'm sorry.
-Don Antie Jr
cobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
I hear Kryloin has a plastic paint that does the same thing..

Has any one use Krylon spray paint I just dont have the money or time to apply the paint you guys are using if I can get by this summer with a plastic spray paint I will and fully detail the bathrom over the winter. My bathroom is nasty the counter is all stained and looks like junk so I need to do something and I have a feeling Ill find more Mice nests under then counter topping. But like I said I want to get my family interested in trailering and it is allready june. So question is would the plastic Krylon spray paint do the job?
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93
Guys,
I am a newbie to Airstreams (only had my 79 Sovereign for 3 weeks). I have stripped all my furniture out and I am now working on fixing some soft flooring. However, in the bathroom we have the "yellow" plastic sink and counter-top and we have the really ugly flowered wall board all over. My question is this...Could you use Por-15 or Rust-oleum's tub and tile on that wall board to change it's color? Would it stick? Thanks for helping and if this question has already been asked I'm sorry.
-Don Antie Jr
Did mine with Por 15, love it!

Check out my pages

http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream.htm
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 05-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93
Guys,
I am a newbie to Airstreams (only had my 79 Sovereign for 3 weeks). I have stripped all my furniture out and I am now working on fixing some soft flooring. However, in the bathroom we have the "yellow" plastic sink ...My question is this...Could you use Por-15 or Rust-oleum's tub and tile on that wall board to change it's color? Would it stick?
-Don Antie Jr
I have kept up with Balrgn's progress and have read others' comments about Krylon. Keep in mind this is just an opinion, but I feel that for the end cap that yellows the Krylon would be excellent.

But for the heavier use (and water) the sink / shower gets, The Whitecoat would be the better product. And I plan to do it in place with a brush and masking tape.

I plan to finally get to doing mine in the fall this year. I am also thinking / planning of useing the Marine Clean on the other bathroom parts and maybe the back endcap which is 'much' better than the front one cause of the darkness in the back I'm sure. Krylon will get everywhere! Lots of Mask.

For the crack in the front endcap, I'm thinking Plastic Weld but know the gap is not enough to get a backing piece behind it. What have others done with foot long cracks. I know about drilling a small hole at end.

Thanks,
Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #35
FOB
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Niceville , Florida
Painting the bathroom cabs sink/counter/tub

I'm looking to paint our bathroom tub and sink/counter combo. I've seen several products for fiberglass but have not seen anything for ABS plastics. Everything is solid but it looks cruddy and we want to update the look. I've hit the end caps with kills and latex and I was wondering if anyone has tried this in the bath with an acrylic sealer. Are there any other products out there that anyone can recommend? I think I saw a thread on this once but I can't find it now.
FOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:40 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
here is one of a few threads on this subject...most have used the two part epoxy you can get at HD or similiar store, with good results.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=white
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #37
FOB
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Niceville , Florida
Quick reply

Thanks for the line on the thread. I also found something on the DIY network last night. Since I don't have any damage to the surfaces outside of discoloration, I think I'm going to go straight to a two part epoxie paint. I was actually eyeing a sprayable product the other day. I'll post my results in the coming days.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:53 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
One more link for you to follow is: http://www.airforums.com/forum...res-14938.html

You can use the search feature on this forum by pulling down the "search" tab and typing in the key word or words you want to see.
Good luck with your project.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #39
FOB
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Niceville , Florida
Thanks Chaplin Kent. That was the thread that I saw before but couldn't track down.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
One more link for you to follow is: http://www.airforums.com/forum...res-14938.html

You can use the search feature on this forum by pulling down the "search" tab and typing in the key word or words you want to see.
Good luck with your project.
Uh...this link is dead.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote