Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2004, 02:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
But "if" you want it to look "right' you have to pay the price, sooner, or later.

With the sooner, it's done.

With the later, you will do it over again, because it didn't hold up.

House paint is for houses. They don't get 140 to 150 degrees, or more, on the inside, like an Airstream can, and does.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Question, Andy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

House paint is for houses. They don't get 140 to 150 degrees, or more, on the inside, like an Airstream can, and does.

Andy
So Andy, are you saying Zolatone is a better choice than house paint? If so I'd pay the money for a couple of gallons.

I was having illusions of the interior aluminum like Tin Can Luv did but with the amount of work ahead and wanting to use the thing sooner rather than later, I'm thinking spraying on Zolatone again would be a better idea. I also looked at the website and decided it would look good after all, and be less maintenance than aluminum veneer.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Zolatone has proven itself far better than any water based paint. I found that out myself as I began stripping the paint on my interior - the water based paint comes right off, Zolatone stays put. In the alternative, you can use a good quality automotive type paint - thats what zolatone - and then they add those "balloons" that give the speckeled look when sprayed. Let me know what you decide to do and how it works out - I'll be painting in the spring.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Zolatone has proven itself far better than any water based paint. I found that out myself as I began stripping the paint on my interior - the water based paint comes right off, Zolatone stays put. In the alternative, you can use a good quality automotive type paint - thats what zolatone - and then they add those "balloons" that give the speckeled look when sprayed. Let me know what you decide to do and how it works out - I'll be painting in the spring.

Ken
Thanks, I had a feeling. We are probably not going to do the aluminum veneer, so we're going to probably paint for sure, and since it's gutted now, we want to paint it ONCE and never have to again, and not have problems with it coming off. No appliance pullouts to repaint. I hated the zolatone at first when I saw it, but given the labor intensive other options, and after seeing the stuff when it's freshly put on, I think we're going to do it. I won't make shortcuts, I like to do it right, so Zolatone it is if it's that durable.

Let me know also how your painting goes. Or just post so I can view it, I'm reading Uwe's and your threads as you go and you both have been really a big help.

I finally took off part of the belly pan and one side of banana wrap, also removed the plastic stuff on the wheel wells, I'm not sure if the PO had that stuff on it or if it was original to the AS. But I'm so proud of myself! I put pictures on my website.

Next I'm removing all the stuff on the inside, taking off the rest of the belly pan, and getting ready for putting in a new floor with Uwe's guidance. It'll be a shell-on replacement (I HOPE!)

Thanks KenJ,
i.

ingrid
Old 10-18-2004, 06:30 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Interior Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtolman
Got any pics of the finished product? The wife might want to see what it looks like before I do it. hehe...
It has been three years since we painted the walls in our trailer. We live in Texas and our trailer is in the heat in the summer. The semi-gloss paint looks as fresh today as the day we put it on.

We will send pictures. Hopefully this paint will look this good for the next three years.

Good luck,

Don Pace
69 Overlander
WBCCI 7387
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
To better clarify what I said - water based paint is being used a lot very successfully. It is not as durable as Zolatone - I suspect water based paint will have to be updated after period of time - which is probably not a big deal, whereas Zolatone can last 40+ years if its taken care of. My 59 Traveler had its original zolatone paint that was in perfect condition. I've seen many old trailers with zolatone in great condition. I also know that come have used rustolem with great results. I would think that fits in somewhere between Zolatone and water based paints.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 10-18-2004, 11:31 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
I'm not into experimenting myself.....

But.
Any of you guys looked at using hammerite paint? See it here:
http://www.masterchem.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=44
Especially look at the silver gray color...... seems to me it would make a dynamite interior look.... hmmmmmm

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 10-18-2004, 12:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
hmmmmm is right! Good to know about that one.

The 40 years comment on the Zolatone is exactly why I want to use it. I want to give this trailer to my daughter to use when she has kids (hopefully), and we plan to really use it heavily when it's done. That's the same reason we're putting POR15 on the frame instead of something cheaper...but there may be parts we can use other brands on, so it's good to know that both options are there.

I'm told when you actually get the trailer closed in and done, i.e. new floor in and shell firmly reattached, doing the inside is actually pretty fun. That's good news to hear...crawling underneath is sweaty and I'd like to be finally putting things *on* instead of ripping them *out*.

Ever forward...

ingrid
Old 10-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Boy do I know that one - I got sooooo tired of tearing things up (don't get me wrong - I can tear things up pretty good ) It is much more fun putting new stuff in. I'm really looking forward to getting things buttoned up and start working above the ground. That won't be till next May or so - winter/cold weather is here - so last night I made my list of what to do over the winter - I'll be building cabinets, replacing screens - things I can do in cold weather.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 10-19-2004, 08:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Hammerite on my frame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
But.
Any of you guys looked at using hammerite paint? See it here:
http://www.masterchem.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=44
Especially look at the silver gray color...... seems to me it would make a dynamite interior look.... hmmmmmm

Elizabeth in Iowa
I used hammerite paint in a silver gray to paint my frame. It has not been long enough to tell about the long term durability but it does look good. It is pretty nasty stuff fumes wise though. Definitely you need to use an appropriate mask - especially if you are spraying it like I did.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #31
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Clear something up for me....

I've spent a lot of time reading achived stuff lately as we are trying to restore a '73 Overlander. We are going to need to paint the interior (I think, if we ever get it completly apart and CLEAN, it's really NASTY).

This camper has the Vinyl Clad alum interior walls. So here's the question....

1) Can Zolatone be used on the Vinyl or is Zolatone to be used only on alum without the vinyl????

2) Should we ONLY use a quality latex on the vinyl clad alum???

As usual, I appreciate any advice!!!

Jim
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Zolatone can be applied over the vinyl clad panels, however it will only adhere as well as the vinyl itself. So if you have bubbles, tears or loose spots, they will remain. You will need to clean and prime it per the manufacturer's recommendation. Also, if your vinyl has a heavy texture, it may read through, a light texture will probably be concealed as the Zolatone has a slightly textured finish and is thicker than a single coat of ordinary paint.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I am planning to paint mine...

Jim,

I have finally started putting my inner skins back on. I found out that it is pretty easy to clean them before I re-install rather than later. I am using an industrial strength cleaner/degreaser and a small size scrubbing buffer to great advantage. Of course if yours are still in place then you need to clean them in place.

I have pretty much decided that I am going to use a good grade of latex paint on mine. Several people in the threads have reported good results with this. I think I am going to use a good primer coat first. I think that I will use a semi-gloss so it will be easy to keep clean. It seems to me that clean vinyl should make a good base. I also personally think that a good grade of latex should hold up plenty well enough. It would not be all that hard to repaint some time in the future.

As an alternative to the latex the other option that I am considering is to use Krylon Fusion spray paint. This Krylon product is especially formulated for sticking to plastic. The main disadvantage to using spray is the extra time needed to mask everything off.

Good luck on your remodel whichever way you decide to go...

Malcolm
Old 02-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Malcolm

Are you going to spray, brush or roll it? Seems like you could get a pretty cheap wagner sprayer..... what do you think?

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 02-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Ken,

I havn't decided how I will apply the paint yet. I do have a couple of spray options available to me though if I decide to do that. I have an airless sprayer that I could use. I also have a small spray gun that works with my air-compressor that could be an option. I would suppose that the airless would be a better option for the thicker latex. The spray gun would be better if I used something like Krylon. I don't know for sure if it comes in a regular can instead of a spray can though.

I do think it would be fine to use a roller and brush for cutting in though - just like painting a room in your house. I would think that a good grade of semi-gloss latex would flow smooth enough - espcially given the fact that there is a texture on the vinyl anyway. I will probably make my decision after I decide if I am going to do everthing in one color or more than on. I don't really want to fire up the airless if I am going to have to keep changing colors for such small areas.

Malcolm
Old 02-05-2005, 07:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Malcolm

Not sure about Krylon, but I know rustoleum comes in cans and I've known several who have painted interiors with it.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 05-29-2005, 08:54 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
We have a '75 Excella 500. My hunch is that it has the original vinyl covered interior which is in very good shape. No bubbles, no peeling, etc.

I have 2 questions. 1). Is this actually vinyl? 2). What should I paint it with, if all we want to do is change the color?

Thanks a bunch.

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 09:51 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

swanny,

I just got through painting ours. First I scrubbed the walls down, then I put a good primer on. You might want to lightly sand the walls first, to make sure of a good adhesion. Goo gone also gets rid of the sticky feeling. I put two coats of kilz brand paint in semi gloss. It looks great. I am going to have to take pictures and post. I also put a coat of future floor wax on a space that is behind where the fridge is supposed to be. It's as smooth as glass. So, I will most likely put a coat over all of it. We also painted the plastic piece in the ffront and it did good also. Good luck
Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote